Polys

Started by
3 comments, last by Someone1 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, (This is about poly limitations for game graphics so I am assuming it would be visual arts related) Sorry to post here but I havn''t been able to find an answer to my question for months no matter what sites, chatroom or boards I try. Could someone please estimate how many polys on screen, a game aimed at geforce 3 normally has? I always hear insane numbers that Geforce 3 can handle but they never take into account anything such as the texturing, game calculations, etc. So can someone estimate how many polys most games aimed at Geforce 3 have? Just the average game that is aimed for Geforce 3 (doom3? anything) How many polys does it have on screen? Just an estimate, I just need to get an idea of the number of polys next generation games on Geforce 3 are using. If someone can just tell me in what ballpark the polys of these next generation Geforce 3 games are in? 20 000? 200 000? I have no clue. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Someone1, your taking these forums too literaly. This forum is
about the art side of things, what your asking is more 3d engine(programming) related.

I''ll give you an idea for how many poly''s to aim for(unfortunately I don''t have a GeForce3), 5000. Nice round number, and everyone will be able to play your game.

Buy me a GeForce3 and I''ll give a better answer...
*********-.o-**********

Ok I''ll try posting in Programming Forum then.

Thanks anyway.

I''ve read that Serious Sam had about 12500 triangles per frame so your 20000 number probably isn''t a bad estimate to use. With an efficient engine cards that come out in 2002 should be able to handle 100000 so the GeForce3 can probably come close to that at times. Of course it all depends on how many passes and effects you use. Doom3 will have a lot of passes so the polygon count probably won''t be as high as some other games.

--
http://www.3dcgi.com/
quote:Original post by 3dcgi
I''ve read that Serious Sam had about 12500 triangles per frame so your 20000 number probably isn''t a bad estimate to use. With an efficient engine cards that come out in 2002 should be able to handle 100000 so the GeForce3 can probably come close to that at times. Of course it all depends on how many passes and effects you use. Doom3 will have a lot of passes so the polygon count probably won''t be as high as some other games.

Thanks for the help.

Do you happen to know how many polys doom3 is aiming for? (a general estimate)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement