Polys

Started by
3 comments, last by Someone1 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, Sorry to post here but I havn''t been able to find an answer to my question for months no matter what sites, chatroom or boards I try. Could someone please estimate how many polys on screen, a game aimed at geforce 3 normally has? I always hear insane numbers that Geforce 3 can handle but they never take into account anything such as the texturing, game calculations, etc. So can someone estimate how many polys most games aimed at Geforce 3 have? Just the average game that is aimed for Geforce 3 (doom3? anything) How many polys does it have on screen? Just an estimate, I just need to get an idea of the number of polys next generation games on Geforce 3 are using. If someone can just tell me in what ballpark the polys of these next generation Geforce 3 games are in? 20 000? 200 000? I have no clue. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Please. I am begging you...

Just a general estimate (within a margain of 30 or 40 thousand or something). All I am looking for is just a very broad estimate of the number of polys a game aimed at geforce 3 might have.

I don''t have a geforce 3 and I am not able to test it myself and for some reason, I havn''t been able to find an answer for months.

Ok, sense my new comp hasn''t arrived I havne''t been able to test it yet, but I''ve been to draw 10,000 polys lit, but not textured around 50 fps on my old machine (amd k6-2 450,128mb, rage pro 8mb agp x2 hence me getting a new machine) in directx 8.0 d3d with no optimization, but the app me and my friend are writing dosen''t do alot more then display triangles, so mass transformations, and multiple render state changes aren''t at play. Conversly, this same program comes to crawl on a 1 ghz,128mb ram,with a 16mb intel graphics card, for some unknown reasons. My friend has been running it on a 1ghz,256mb,geforce ti 500 with smooth frame rates.

REMBER a graphics card dosen''t make a system, all the other components need to be there.

Anyways, I would set your target to around 20k polys. 200,000 is a little to high for textures/transparancies/lighting but it also relies heavily on programming talent, while one person may only be able to squeeze out a program that can handle that and more, another person may not have the knowledge or skill.

Also consider when the game is planned on being released, unreal 2 has around 3k polys for the main characters, and a few years ago, q2 had around 300. So if you plan on releasing this 2-3 years from now, 200k may not be high at all.

Of course these are my opinions not scientific fact, and i know many people know ALOT more then i do, so i will concide to better advice.
-Scott
Highly depends, on how good you are as a programmer

Seriously: with new boards (GF2 and GF3 style), you can get decent framerate with over 100k/tris per frame. But *only* if you have damn well thought and optimized data structures to store / process your scene data. You need effective HSR, cache optimizations (or CPU cache access might get a bottleneck), and double buffered VARs that you stream into AGP memory (and let the 3D card DMA them). All this needs to be 100% synchronized with the CPU and GPU (NVFence) to get maximum parallelism (sp?). If you are extremely carefull (and have lots of experience) in engine design, then you could pump, say 120-150k/tris on a GF3, with still enough CPU time left for AI + physics.

For a beginner though, I would say around 25k/tri per frames is a good start. 200k/frame is a bit high, framerate would drop too much. At least for an FPS game, it could be OK for an RPG, where you don''t need those killer framerates.

I have a 64mb GeForce 2 Pro/GTS and on 3D Mark 2001 I can do the "High polygon count - one light" test @ a good enough fps (I can''t remember exactly, 30+). However when I do the 8 light test it drops to 4-5 fps. I reckon the GeForce 3 could do better than that. Sorry, but I don''t know exactly how many polys are in that scene

------------------------------
Baldur K

"It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future."
--time travel explained by Rimmer (Red Dwarf)

"If you don''t gosub a program loop, you''ll never get a subroutine."
-- Kryten (Red Dwarf)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement