OpenGL/DX....Which is best to learn?

Started by
4 comments, last by ELS1 22 years, 3 months ago
im fairly new to c++(on and off), but plan to write some games in the future...i want to write the infamous tetris/nibbles clone and then move on to a 2D side-scrolling game, kinda like mario...and write a game editor. but my question is, which is better? opengl or dx? i downloaded the DX8.1SDK today and most of the demos do not work because of my VooDoo3 16MB card! And i have to change to 16Bit color(i used 32bit true color) everytime to run a demo! I dont want anything complicated that will need a high-end card...just something to get started. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Noooooooooooooooooooo! Not another * VS * ...

I can sum it up. There is no best. It's a matter a preference.
But you should compare Direct3d (and not DirectX) and OpenGL.

Edited by - hpox on January 12, 2002 9:24:26 PM
Neither. Both.

How''s about you try one, and if it doesn''t mesh with your "style", you try the other. Then make your decision?

Happy Hacking!

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I highly recommend OpenGL, but then, it works well with my style. Also, I recommend getting into SDL. ( www.libsdl.org )
Why Not?
I highly recommend open dx (or direct gl, I can''t remember the name offhand). It''s a great new api that combines the best of both of direct x and open gl (while removing all the bits that their creators put in to make them bad) and makes programming games as easy as playing them. Try google for more info.
search the forum
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement