Progressive Meshes

Started by
3 comments, last by Wreakon 22 years, 3 months ago
Hey, I generate a mesh at runtime, and load it up into ID3DXMesh, if (FAILED(D3DXCreateMeshFVF(mi_NumIndices/3, mi_NumVertices, D3DXMESH_MANAGED, D3DFVF_SFFVERTEX, m_d3d_Device, &pMesh))) /* so on, lock & load */ then I load it into pObject.... if (FAILED(pPMesh->ClonePMeshFVF(D3DXMESH_MANAGED, D3DFVF_SFFVERTEX, m_d3d_Device, &pObject))) Exit("Error"); pObject->SetNumVertices( 0xffffffff ); After that theres a problem. This is always true pObject->GetMaxVertices() == pObject->GetMinVertices() (hint: It says that Max/Min amount of Vertices that the Mesh supports) so what the heck good is it if it cant reduce the polys? Anyone have an idea what might be wrong? ------- Happy Coding! Homepage: www.pcwebvia.f2s.com CVS1.0 will be released soon here. www.bytamin-c.com
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com
Advertisement
SAME PROBLEM!!!!
It hardly reduces any polys......whats the point!
It only works well with the tiger.x which comes with Microsoft SDK. I guess theres something wrong with the way we design our models in 3dsmax or theres something wrong with the exporter.

anyways,
if u figure it do mail me!!
Raptor
http://www.raptorentertainment.com
Progressive Meshing won''t work well if your meshes have a lot of "sharp" edges - a sharp edge is a boundary between 2 polygons where none of the vertices of those polygons can be shares. One example of this can be having different smoothing groups for the polys, another could be different texture coordinates, or texture IDs. Another cause would be if your export hadn''t shared *any* vertices properly.

[IIRC MS use the index list reduction method for their PMs - if your index list is inefficient (i.e. not many shares), the technique won''t work well at all!]

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Ok, I will continue to fight it, I am generating a set of points programmatically and they are precicely on location. Also, it does work for 3DS files, but not for the generated mesh, which is obviously peculiar( Although I checked and rechecked the points that are generated. )

Anyway, thanks for the respones it will give me a better idea what to look for. I''ll mail you if I find the answer.

> Progressive Meshing won''t work well if your meshes have a lot > of "sharp" edges - a sharp edge is a boundary between 2 polygons where none of the vertices of those polygons can be shares. One example of this can be having different smoothing groups for the polys, another could be different texture coordinates, or texture IDs.
- Not providing any of those

Another cause would be if your export hadn''t shared *any* vertices properly.

- properly? It renders fine and all the numbers match up.

[IIRC MS use the index list reduction method for their PMs - if your index list is inefficient (i.e. not many shares), the technique won''t work well at all!]

- Nearly 5/6 vertices are shared (Im begging to think this is the problem heh)

Wreakon

-------
Happy Coding!
Homepage: www.pcwebvia.f2s.com CVS1.0 will be released soon here.
www.bytamin-c.com
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com
Try Using Mview to reduce it. Clean it up as much as you can too.

EvilDecl81
EvilDecl81

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement