• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mauro

RTS graphic engine

This topic is 6001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m interested about developing a 3d graphic engine for rts games such as the one that Ground Control uses. Can anyone tell me which features I have to include, which programming subjects I have to study? (for example : kind of terrain rendering...) Thanks Mauro

Advertisement
This is my response (and you probably won''t like it <.<)

When I see questions like- how should I do this? My gut turns. Here is why.

When I have a problem like that, I want (as a natural desire) to be original in implementation. So I learn about the basics of what I want to do, then think out a way of implementing what needs to be done. So in this case and in OpenGL, I would learn all the basics of OGL. Then I would try my own implementations on how the terrain engine should work.

I''m not trying to put you down- just maybe thought I could share another way of dealing/perspective on the problem.

[end rant]

My Suggestions? You should probably look at building a custom map editor/system for the engine. Then use terrain patches rendered as a surface of QUADs. Objects should have the options of being translucents (units/buildings/etc). Pathfinding AI is a must, and a moving camera view would be cool.

Ranger

quote:
quote by Ranger_One:
I would learn all the basics of OGL

Ranger_One: Hey dude, there are two sides to this conflict you know...
mauro: learn either OGL or Microsoft's DirectX, which ever one seems easier to you. As for how to render the landscape and what areas to study, a question like this, no offense, tells me that you aren't ready to build a 3d engine like Ground Control.
Maybe you are and I'm just a jerk, but most likely, when you're ready, ideas will come to you about how the programmers did it. Like I'm able to look at a game and go, oh, see the clipping trails? That's a zbuffer alg. with a bsp tree. Now it's perfectly fine to ask because sometimes the more subtle things are hard to recognize.
However, I think if you do have the knowledge, then just start thinking about how you'd build a terrain scape and chances are, it won't be too horribly differnt from theirs.
Good luck,
-Jesse

Edited by - SIGMA on January 13, 2002 2:23:23 PM

I think you are better off making a pong game first. Why? Well, you dont even know about 3d graphics, which I am infering by your lack of what is entailed in a 3d project. This message of yours also seems as if you dont even know what it takes to make a complete game.

If you dont wanna learn how to make a game in 2d, then just go read up on 3d graphics and C++. Making a realtime 2 year project with 7 professional developers is way beyond your means right now(doesnt everyone want to make a professional game..haha).

Baby steps my friend, when you start learning about 3d, youll understand why I am saying to take it slow and small.

I already know C++ and DirectX, and I have experienced 3d with BSP trees, moreover I''m specialized in 2D isometric engines.. simply I want to know which are the most used techniques from which start for terrain rendering..
however thanks to everybody

Mauro

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!