Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mauro

RTS graphic engine

I''m interested about developing a 3d graphic engine for rts games such as the one that Ground Control uses. Can anyone tell me which features I have to include, which programming subjects I have to study? (for example : kind of terrain rendering...) Thanks Mauro

This is my response (and you probably won''t like it <.<)

When I see questions like- how should I do this? My gut turns. Here is why.

When I have a problem like that, I want (as a natural desire) to be original in implementation. So I learn about the basics of what I want to do, then think out a way of implementing what needs to be done. So in this case and in OpenGL, I would learn all the basics of OGL. Then I would try my own implementations on how the terrain engine should work.

I''m not trying to put you down- just maybe thought I could share another way of dealing/perspective on the problem.

[end rant]

My Suggestions? You should probably look at building a custom map editor/system for the engine. Then use terrain patches rendered as a surface of QUADs. Objects should have the options of being translucents (units/buildings/etc). Pathfinding AI is a must, and a moving camera view would be cool.

Ranger

quote:
quote by Ranger_One:
I would learn all the basics of OGL

Ranger_One: Hey dude, there are two sides to this conflict you know...
mauro: learn either OGL or Microsoft's DirectX, which ever one seems easier to you. As for how to render the landscape and what areas to study, a question like this, no offense, tells me that you aren't ready to build a 3d engine like Ground Control.
Maybe you are and I'm just a jerk, but most likely, when you're ready, ideas will come to you about how the programmers did it. Like I'm able to look at a game and go, oh, see the clipping trails? That's a zbuffer alg. with a bsp tree. Now it's perfectly fine to ask because sometimes the more subtle things are hard to recognize.
However, I think if you do have the knowledge, then just start thinking about how you'd build a terrain scape and chances are, it won't be too horribly differnt from theirs.
Good luck,
-Jesse

Edited by - SIGMA on January 13, 2002 2:23:23 PM

I think you are better off making a pong game first. Why? Well, you dont even know about 3d graphics, which I am infering by your lack of what is entailed in a 3d project. This message of yours also seems as if you dont even know what it takes to make a complete game.

If you dont wanna learn how to make a game in 2d, then just go read up on 3d graphics and C++. Making a realtime 2 year project with 7 professional developers is way beyond your means right now(doesnt everyone want to make a professional game..haha).

Baby steps my friend, when you start learning about 3d, youll understand why I am saying to take it slow and small.

I already know C++ and DirectX, and I have experienced 3d with BSP trees, moreover I''m specialized in 2D isometric engines.. simply I want to know which are the most used techniques from which start for terrain rendering..
however thanks to everybody

Mauro