How good is Java?

Started by
8 comments, last by netwiz 22 years, 2 months ago
I''ve been told that Java is powerful, and many people have recomended it to me. But how good is it? What can it make? Examples? Thanx! ~Linux Rocks~
Don't ask me for help!
Advertisement
Hi

go to http://java.sun.com/

There is a lot of information there, you can read the tutorials and browse the API documentation. It should give you a good idea of what it can do.
That site is soo confusing!

~Linux Rocks~
Don't ask me for help!
quote:Original post by netwiz
But how good is it?

Yes.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I believe that Java can be used for anything that does not have to be blatatly fast. I program 3D in c++ and all tools and editors and whatnot in java.

Although there is some impressing stuff being done like
http://www.cosm-game.com/
[Insert cool signature here]
I''d agree with Camel on that. You might be able to get the graphics quality of Quake I graphics on Java these days. I have even seen Java mmorpg games that are 2d. You can do a lot with it and some thing I have seen are quite good, even for 3d, but you can''t do everything you may have seen with it.
Java is only as good as the programmer....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Hey

True, when I started working for my company (my payed job), I had the idea that Java had to be slow.
We had a bit of a C pusher as a teacher at the time in school, but when I started working with it and saw how quickly it can do stuff on a old computer, I was amazed

I used to do GUI design in Java at work.
We had our own GUI system and I can tell you, even without any acceleration, Java does a kickass job on things.
Better than the general Windows apps (but then again, its microsoft)
We do things like multiple layers of transparancy (see through a stack of panels and other things) and it would still run fast.

Java will ofcourse always be a bit slower yes, but depending on what you do with it, it can be fast enough.
I would recommend it as a starter language, seeing that it will prepare you for working with OOP and it gives results quickly.

I hope this helped
"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
yes it did help...I think
Don't ask me for help!
quote:
We had our own GUI system and I can tell you, even without any acceleration, Java does a kickass job on things.
Better than the general Windows apps (but then again, its microsoft)

Now what do you mean does a better job than Windows apps? Java programs under Windows *are* Windows apps. The Java GUI libraries are implemented in terms of the Win32 API (as far as I know.) So in general, the Java GUI should be the same speed, if not a bit slower, than a Windows app making direct use of common controls/GDI.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement