• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sush

Crash when doing fullscreen ALT+TAB

This topic is 6184 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks! I've got a really annoying problem which I am not able solve myself. I am almost as far to say that it might be a bug in the DirectX library or in the driver software but I don't have the experience to be sure. Would be nice if someone could tell me his/her opinion about that problem. Alright, actually I was working on my game when this problem occured. To find the "roots" of this error I wrote a simple application which displays only a single triangle. I was able to recreate the error with this programm. The problem is described quite quickly: When the programm runs (in fullscreen) and the user presses ALT + TAB, it crashes with an access violation. Please note that it crashes when Windows (WinXP on my machine) switches _from_ my application to desktop (or other processes) and not _to_ the application (so it can't have anything to do with "lost" resources like textures, etc). But I think it must have something to do with the D3DDevice which got lost due to a task change. I was able to track down the function that causes the access violation: It is the DrawPrimitive() method that is supposed to draw the triangle. But DXSDK-documentation says: "The application can continue to call rendering methods, such as IDirect3DDevice8::DrawPrimitive() [when device is in lost state...] Internally, these operations are discarded until the device is reset to the operational state." According to this it seems that it actually cannot be caused by the lost device. But I think it is somehow involved in that error because when I check for a "operational" device the crash can be avoided. Like this: if SUCCEEDED(pDev->TestCooperativeLevel()) pDev->DrawPrimitive(bla); Another thing I found out is that it only happens when I use untransformed vertices (without RHW component). Furthermore when the vertices are processed by hardware (with D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING) the crash can be avoided. Taking everything together I found out that two conditions must be fulfilled in order to summon the access violation:
  • the (untransformed) vertices must be processed by software.
  • the device must have lost its operational status (which happens when doing ALT + TAB).
The crash happens when DrawPrimitive() is called and I think it actually happens during the translation work which DrawPrimitive() entails. But as I said I'm being far away from calling myself a DX guru. So I would appreciate your help. You can take a look at the sourcecode I use: View sourcecode I use WinXP home edition and a nVidia GeForce2 Pro. Thanks in advance. --Sush btw: If you don't understand something don't bother to ask... As I'm german I think there are several mistakes in english language Edited by - Sush on January 13, 2002 11:50:07 AM

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!