Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crash

Inspired By Zipless

Inspired by Zipless releasing his first game, Ive decided to release mine to just see what you guys think of it. Bad Boys is a 2-player, 2D, top-down shooter. The aim is to shoot the other player 9 times, before he shotts you 9 times. Its quite simple really. The game was made whilst reading TeeJs interactive tutorial, so if you recognise the graphics thats why. It was also based on TeeJs BaseCode2a (I think it was that version) The keys are: Player 1: Movement: Arrows Fire: Right Control Player 2: Movement: W,A,S,D Fire: Left Control It can be downloaded at: http://members.tripod.co.uk/crash_9/Bad_Boys.zip Anyway the game is quite old now and I have learnt alot since I made it, and I am currently working on the sequal. So the purpose of this post is to basically hear what you guys think. What could be improved? Does it run on your system? Do you have any problems with it? Is it fun? That sort of thing. So please download it and give me whatever opinon you have. Hoping you enjoy it, Crash, EDIT: Fixed the URL, Thanks to Fallen_Angel for pointing that one out. "We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000 "If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001 Edited by - crash on January 17, 2002 11:52:42 AM

Hey there, that wasn''t a bad little game. By the way, your link needs fixing. Try this one instead
Fairly similar to my first game except I had tanks instead of men. And like mine it''s a bit limited in that you need two people present to play and not too challenging shooting a standing opponent. Maybe an AI or an online version would help this out.
Also when you win the game just tends to stop for a while and then exiting. Possibly could give the player the choice to start again or just quit straight away rather than waiting for it to drop out.
Other than that I liked it and didn''t come across any errors.

The new version already has a proper GUI set up, with menus and options. The game no longer drops out like that and the only reason the first did was lazyness on my behalf.

As for an AI or internet option Im not sure yet, but out of the two I think I will be leaning towards an AI option as Ive been studying a lot of resources on AI recently and have little experience or knowledge of network programming. This, adition though is planned for the end of the design time.

Thanks for the input, anyone else?
Crash,

"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000

"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001

Pretty neat, the collision detection could do with some tweaking though, it looks neat when the wall is above you almost like it''s meant to be at a 45degree viewpoint but then as soon as you go near another section of wall it kinda ruins the effect.

Hmmmm, now i''ve got a problem. I shoot the other guy and then the game stalls for a while (10 seconds) and then drops back to the desktop :-(

Yeah the game is supposed to freeze like that. Due to me rushing the game I never programmed a gui or any menus so the game is designed to hang for a while then close. This has already been fixed as too many of my friends told me it didnt feel like a real game due to the lack of front-end.

As for the collision detection this was another rushed problem. As the graphics TeeJ provided were 32x32 (I think) they couldnt fit past the wall tiles which were also 32x32. So instead of fixing the map so these areas didnt exist I altered the collision detection to be a bit generous This problem, though, does not exist in the new version which is... wait for it... 3D. This has been a major breakthrough for me (Please dont laugh) and is the reason for another Bad Boys game. Its still going to be top down but due to the change in player dimensions and map dimesnsions I should be able to fix the collision problems.

Thanks for the input Zipless,
Anyone else?
Crash,

"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000

"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001