Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Architekt

When to redraw?

So what comes to mind to me is 2 options: 1. Redraw EVERYTHING each game loop. I would think that this is necessary though only when scrolling around, in which case things are moving all over the place. 2. If you''re not scrolling, just draw what needs to be updated. So I would grab the area underneath where I''m about to draw, save it, then draw my new data. Upon next frame, replace that area, and repeat. Is option 2 what most iso engines use? Or is there a better way to do things?

Rather all engines redraw everything from null, why? Because redrawing everything lets you keep a quite stable fps rate, althrought not as high as with the other method if you''re using very few sprites. The thing is, that once you have got a lot of sprites it''s easier/faster to simple redraw everything from null.
Another thing is, that many effects aren''t prepared to use the "redraw only what needs to be updated" method. For example many iso engines use realtime lighting (like diablo serie) and therefore screen needs to be redrawn every frame.

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/