quote:Original post by black_mage_s
I DID IT IN BATCH BABY!
BOOYAH!

(In best Keanu Reeves impersonation): "Whoa."

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Advertisement
that has to be the first thing i have ever said that merits a "whoa"
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Before I had structs, I used parallel arrays.
PRINT roomname(currentroom)
PRINT roomdescription(currentroom)
That''s weird, because that''s what my friend and I did for programming everything. Ah, the days before we knew about data structures (or linked lists, though the two go hand in hand), we''d have like 10 parallel arrays for everything...

int monster_strength[max_monsters];int monster_health[max_monsters];etc. 

Ah, the painful days of yore. Compliments to the guy that did it in a batch file, though, that''s gotta take the cake...

-----------------
The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
-----------------
"Before critisizing somebody, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do critisize them, not only will you be a mile away, but you''ll also have their shoes!"
- The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
BATCh hmm...

a:
echo Hi

if...

Batch really is a watered down version of QB. I swear it is
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Thats right, there are more dos commands than there should be hehe. You can create games in batch, i also did that. But only text ^^. Dos is basic but i think dos has less functions.
Infocom used a custom scripting language called Inform to write their text adventures in. It looks quite clean and is OOP but it can be quite complex.

Search for it and you should find some tutorials about how to program in it and maybe even some compilers/interpreters.

Well, no, they didn''t use Inform. Inform is a compiler written
by "reverse-engineers". Anyway, it''s THE language of choice
for text-adventures, since the games can be played on all
platforms. I wouldn''t be surprised if you can play Zork
on your neighbour''s VCR, and his dog.

Here it is:

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/inform/index.html

(OT: how do you insert proper link tags here ?)

Live jolly,
llyod
its all about the evil GOTO command from basic.
yah, inform is nifty as hell... it is pretty easy to learn; i took one of my old GW-BASIC text adventures and re-did it with inform in less than a week.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement