Text Adventure

Started by
18 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 3 months ago
I don''t get it. How did you gods create text based games before c++? (Or OOP at that). It seems so tedious to write the string of the room desc EVERY time, create arrays that reference other arrays and so on. Heck, HOW DID YOU FARE in doing so without ->? You guys are gods if you can explain how you didn''t go crazy from writing these.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
You get yourself a computer with DOS 3.3 and start GWBASIC.

Kneelz
quote:Original post by Andrew Nguyen
HOW DID YOU FARE in doing so without ->?

-> isn''t exclusive to C++, or OOP.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by Andrew Nguyen
I don''t get it. How did you gods create text based games before c++? (Or OOP at that). It seems so tedious to write the string of the room desc EVERY time, create arrays that reference other arrays and so on. Heck, HOW DID YOU FARE in doing so without ->?
You guys are gods if you can explain how you didn''t go crazy from writing these.

I for one, didn''t know there was a better way.
Text based games can be made easily without C++ and data structures that you specifically described. Being creative with what you have to work with is part of the job.

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
gah!! gah!! heheheheheheh :-))))
not crazy!! huh?? :-))) hehehehehe :-))) hahahahaha
AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! oh..my!!!!
hehe:-)

;-)

I actually never completed my text adventure.
I tried to program it in commodore basic v2.0, on a C64.
But the c64 was already 10 years old then, and suddenly died.
I got an *old* pc then, but never started to program a text adventure again...

quote:Original post by UnshavenBastard
I actually never completed my text adventure.
I tried to program it in commodore basic v2.0, on a C64.
But the c64 was already 10 years old then, and suddenly died.
I got an *old* pc then, but never started to program a text adventure again...

10 print "You find yourself standing on a beach, standing next to a tree."20 print "There is no one around.  What shall you do?"30 print "N S E"40 input c41 if c = "n" goto 10042 if c = "s" goto 20043 if c = "e" goto 30045 print "Not an option.  Try again."46 goto 10100 print "You walk to the north."101 goto 110110 print "There, you find a man sitting on a towel"... 

heh heh... I started doing that when I was 8.

---email--- Tok ----surf----
~The Feature Creep of the Family~

here
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~
bit of assembly, and lots of C code. It is actually very easy.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
For a much more slick and simple console game written in nice C++, go to
www.geocities.com/promitr/DrugWars.zip

Anywayz, i was doing that QBASIC type stuff long ago. Real neat when you''re only 7 or 8, but i tell ya, DX and OGL sure that stuff.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I DID IT IN BATCH BABY!
BOOYAH!
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement