Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steg

Loading height maps

Hi everyone, Three questions : 1. I was wondering which ways you use for loading in height map information. At the moment I just load in .raw files generated via paint shop pro7, this is simple as the file has no format. I guess another way would be to use D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFileA and lock the surface then do a memory copy - anyone use this method ? 2. I have a height map of 128x128, what size of texture is best to drape over all the quads in the terrain ? 3. At some point very soon I want to implement some LOD in my terrain engine, I have read about using binary triangle trees and quad trees but still can''t decide which way to go. Which methods have any of you used ? Many thanks, sTeVe

Just today I was playing with height maps, right now I''ve got a routine that loads a 32 bit TGA and creates a texture from the color channels (discarding alpha for the texture), then uses the alpha channel to create the height map. However I think most of what you''re asking is beyond the level of what I''m doing right now.

I''ve only just started with doing my terrain engine thanks from the help I''ve had from guys off here. I just use a brute force method at the moment, I''m going to do some LOD implementations hopefully this week.

Anozireth - What technique are you using to load your tga file ?