DirectPlay and What is Stopping Me from Using It

Started by
6 comments, last by Zer 24 years, 2 months ago
Opinions, please... The reason I do not use DirectPlay for anything is because I would like my programs to remain portable. If Microsoft released the DirectPlay protocol specs I would most certainly use it. Oh yeah, and on a side note, I got this from a source on my ICQ list who will remain anonymous who works inside Microsoft, so take it as a grain of salt - Dropping DirectDraw in DirectX 8. Someone please verify this for me please (true/false). He told me it would only remain in the DX7 and below ones for backwards compatibility. Anyway, does this bug anyone or is it just me?
Advertisement
I don''t know about DirectPlay, but dropping DirectDraw is hardly possible, if they don''t plan to do a better component that would take over DDraw''s work, get a clean start, maybe emulate all functions for once and get that damn alphablend code!

Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
I think he''s lying about dropping directdraw. I believe this for several reasons. First, dropping directdraw will make direct3d not work (you have to have a surface). Second, if someone installs DirectX8, and it doesn''t support DirectDraw, then all the programs that rely on directdraw will stop working. We''re talking about hundreds of commercial games. He may mean that they''re not going to update directdraw anymore, but they will never just drop it.
Dropping DirectDraw? That would cause Outlook Express not to work even, and numerous other windows components. Microsoft isnt THAT stupid.

This is just a rumour probably, trying to get people scared that dont know any better.

Dropping DirectDraw would be like removing the graphical interface from Windows and going to Text mode.. And you''d have to get rid of Direct3D. Aint gonna happen.

-Dan Smith
dans@3dgamedev.com
D. Smith
Dropping directdraw in Directx8 would have absolutely *NO* effect on current programs. As any DX programmer would know, the version of the DX interface must be specifically requested before it is used. In order to ensure backward compatability , interfaces are never removed from the SDK . That is why you can load up the Directx7 SDK and still program something \w the Directx3 interface.

Anyway, this is a moot debate since Microsoft IS "dropping" DirectDraw in version 8 of the SDK. The information is right on their web site. DirectDraw is going to be merged with Direct3d. Thus, the functionality of DirectDraw will not be removed, but there will be no future versions of the DirectDraw interface. (The net effect is that DirectDraw is still available, and you get a Direct3d interface to boot!)
Thanks you...uh...Anonymous user and shame on your ppl, you should know DirectX is a little smarter than that.

Also, I think the whole DirectX project is gonna close soon, maybe even after DX8, since Microsoft's new game API called Fahrenheit (MS says D3D RM is already closed and they're putting their efforts into this new project instead) is gonna take over.

Edited by - Spiff on 2/10/00 12:47:36 AM
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Don''t bet on it... DX will be around longer than DX8. They''ve finally gotten around to incorporating it into the OS (Win2k). They''re not gonna kill it yet.

Mark Fassett

Laughing Dragon Games

http://www.laughing-dragon.com

MS is dropping DirectDraw from DX8. I think they are also dropping D3D X (or whatever the hell they call it in DX7).

Derek Smart
Designer/Lead Developer
The Battlecruiser Series
www.3000ad.com
"Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement