I jsut found one of the worst possible ways to build a game engine

Started by
16 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 3 months ago
I was curious, so i started by making a pure virtual object class with only a HRESULT Render() and a IDirect3DDevice8*. THen I derived a SpriteObject with a matrix and axes, then a camera from that....etc. Do you know what it is like trying to find the definition for a function that is implemented 5 levels of inheritance above the class you are writing? Remember Inheritance is good...to a point. Try not to use more than 3 levels, ever. ----------------------------- The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
I''m not going to argue your findings, and certainly in a game engine you need all the performance you can get. But in a less demanding app the number of inheritance levels doesn''t produce such a noticable impact. Yes, finding functions w/o source docs is annoying, that''s why I generate docs constantly when writing a framework or an engine.
The level of inheritance does not change the speed of the application. Virtual function resolution has constant cost. Of course, writing more code will make your software slower, but it will not be because of inheritance.

I didnt even mention performance...whered that coem from?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I''m not a pro when it comes to OO analysis and design, but I think there is something wrong when you derive a camera from a sprite object(?).

But then again, it could be just me...
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
It was a little weird in that sense too. WHat the logic was:
CObject provides the HRESULT Render() and a bit of pointer management. The Render is pure virtual.

CSpriteObject implies an object which has a matrix in the world and therefore is an actual moving entity.

CCamera is a CSpriteObject with a lot of calculations for movement, about 20 short functions to just make life easier.

Because the code for a game object was so similar to CCamera, i derived CGameObject from CCamera for movement/rotation functions then added functions to work with a CD3DMesh provided by d3dfile.h.

It was really working well, but just too many levels of abstraction to make sense.
It''s not the number of levels of abstraction that make it hard to follow. You have to make sure your inheritance tree makes sense, or any program will be hard to follow.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
I agree, it''s not the many levels of inheritance, but your design. A Camera is not a type of Sprite, so that kind of invalidates the idea of subclassing. What you probably should have done is used an abstract interface to represent a renderable object, CRenderable, and given it a single virtual function called Render(), then derive your Sprite and Camera (directly or indirectly) from CRenderable.
Another thing about inheritance (and virtual functions) that many people overlook is that it makes effectively testing your code harder to do. Functions calling virtual functions or working with pointers to base classes don''t know for sure what the path of code execution is when they call them. So you can no longer be sure of the exact execution path within your function as soon as you start calling virtual functions. Even if you do have access to all the functions that could possibly be called now, someone could add a new derived class later and your code would end up calling it. The same problem applies for any kind of function pointer system, obviously, but normal use of function pointers rarely gets as widespread as with virtual functions.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
quote:Original post by Promit
I didnt even mention performance...whered that coem from?

You did not, but jim_ross did. Your comment about inheritance are right. And so are Kylotan.

My rule of thumb is virtual functions are only for customization, and so the functions to implement are usually simple as most the work is (and should be ) done in the base class(es).

I would not attack your problem the way you are doing it right now. I would have 2 separate class :

1. a Sprite Class that gives access to all the properties of a sprite(image, size, whatever you need). The sprite class could still derive from an Object class that contains the current position and orientation.

2. A Sprite Renderer that is part of a renderer module.

The instance being rendered does need to be aware of the mean used to draw it.

I find this to be cleaner and easier to work with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement