Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DBridle

The next step after graphics engine..

DBridle    122
Hi all, I have been working dilligantly on my graphics layer and have pretty much created all the libraries I need for 3D Math, buffers, directx objects, sound, music etc etc. I now need to sit down and write some type of simple level editor, it doesnt need to be much, all I am trying to do, is to create like a maze type deal and run around it, to test my speeds, texture routines, matrices etc. I have scoured the net for such resources and have yet found anything that can help. I did see some tutorials on raytracing and importing textfiles that look like a bunch of x''s and 0''s, where x is a wall and 0 is an object. While this is ok, I really want to do something a little more advanced than that. So any pointers, tutorials that could help, please post them. Thanks in advance. - DBridle

Promit    13246
The typical thing to do is to design the editor using your game engine. Often the editor is actually done in VB, or using MFC, since performance is not all that important.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

DBridle    122
Thanks for the fast reply. VB eh? Thats a really good idea! That solves the language barrier I may have had, I''m fine with writing directx stuff, but windows programming isnt exactly my forte in C++. I guess I am now missing a bit of theory..

Not quiet sure what exactly I need, I guess I''m thinking lines = walls, I can make objects and just import them in for things like scenery (flowerpots, doors, gates, etc). Just too much to do and not knowing where to start.

Prozak    898
Start real simple, and go from there.
I have my own 3D file format, which includes the
meshes, textures and animations. Although the engine
runs in VC++, the file constructor was built under VB6...

It runs perfect, although somewhat slow, but who cares, right?
As long as the output file comes out with zero problems...

You''ll probably need a grid of sorts, and codes for each
place in that matrix, like, 1=wall, 0=space, 3=table, etc...

You should use GDI calls in VB, drawing that grid in a form,
capturing the mouse position, to see where the user clicked
(which square in the matrix).

Then, you could have a palette, with like, Space, Wall, Chair,
Table, etc, where you select what to put where you clik...

Made any sense, hope so...
Hope this helps dude, you''re on the right track!

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][]
"Research is what I''m doing when I don''t know what I''m doing."
- Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

DBridle    122
Thats awesome, thats just what I needed to hear, I think I was on the right track, just needed a quick shove!

I will start looking into GDI Calls in VB, I''m a little familiar with it. I look forward to hearing more idea''s, I dont see too much of this kind of info on the net.

Thanks again guys.

- DBridle

kmsixpence    134
I would do it all wit directx and c++. Even though I use directx8, it shoudn''t be that much different. First, setup the window. Then create 4 viewports. Look it up in the DirectX SDK. Render to each one with the appropriate camera position. Then just make buttons and all with the window calls. Its really simple. If you want to buy a windows book, charles something has a book called Programming Windows or something. I don''t need to know all that crap though so I just bought multiplayer game programming and it tells me the stuff better than other game prog books, including tricks. I personally don''t like vb but it may work for you. Good Luck!

DBridle    122
I would certainly agree, there is more power in c++, however, it would take me a lot longer to code it all in c++. I use VB at work everyday, so have become a bit of a guru in it, RAD makes doing this stuff very quickly.

Later on I will have to use C++ and windows programming in it for its speed though, so gotta learn it sooner or later.

intrest86    742
1)Figure out the units you would like th level in
2)Make a picture Box and set the ScaleWidth and Height to the size of the arena
3)Use the picturebox methods to drawlines and find the mouse position, which will read out in level coordinates

GalaxyQuest    122
Ahem... why not just add editting features within your current project, since you say your keeping it "simple." It sure would reduce programming time. If you develope it right, when it comes time to making a demo without these editing features, just disable them.

Of course no one likes my advice so just do whatever your gonna do....