Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mathfeel

complicated polys

mathfeel    122
Reading up to tutorial 10 makes me wonder a little...(I probably gonna have an answer when I read further, but I am eager to know now)...in drawing all the poly''s we used the coordinate of its vertices and, this doesn''t sounds like a very good idea when u are drawing up some complicated polygones such as a face??? it seems that an irregular shaped 3-D object is rather hard to draw by specifying vertices, isn''t it??? so how is it really done in the real world...say you want to draw a landscade with some small hills? also, like the cube in the earlier tutors...can u keep somebody from "zooming" into the cube? it doesn''t make sense to me when the cube is wooden, somebody can wander right through the surface...I think we can write code that goes like when your Z is larger/smaller than something, then u can''t increment it anymore...but I find it hard to come up with a code when the box is arbitarily rotating....this is very broad I think...so just gimme some hint where I can start my own thinking.

NaliXL    120
Q : in drawing all the poly''s we used the coordinate of its vertices and, this doesn''t sounds like a very good idea when u are drawing up some complicated polygones such as a face???

A : You mean you get very large much mem usage, high polygon counts? That''s the way it is. There are ways to speed it up though.

Q : say you want to draw a landscade with some small hills?

A : A landscape has the profit that you can use a height-map most times, which is a 2d-picture that represents the hills by making the deepest areas white and the heighest black. Of course, when you''re displaying it, you''re still using polygons.

Q : it doesn''t make sense to me when the cube is wooden, somebody can wander right through the surface...

A : That''s called collision-detection, talked about in one of the later tutorials (tutor 31).

Succes!

BSXrider    122
Yes, working out all the vertex''s of a complex model would be a nightmare. You design the model first using 3D studio or whatever and then code an import function into your program.

- seb