New To DirectX

Started by
6 comments, last by caffeineaddict 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi, i''m really new to DirectX and it looks very intimidating, from what i''ve seen, my question is this, is it really as intimidating as it seems or is it just really bad looking? Also is it worth learning? thanks.
Advertisement
It''s not *as* bad as it looks. If you are *just* starting, OpenGL has a slightly gentler initial learning curve and the concepts are easily translateable to DX8.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
yeah, i''ve been using opengl but i want to use both to see the advantages of both.
if you are new to game programming, you do not necessarily have to use OpenGL. if you WANT to use Direct3D then grab some books, and checkout some tutorials on the web. everything will be intimidating until you try it.

i would suggested learning the 3D vector math and matrices. this is much more important than any API.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Yes directx is really intimidating as it seems.
I got started with directx then I switched to opengl because of that reason.
I would not say that opengl learning curve is just slightly gentler.
In my experience the ratio is 1\3, I mean , abt 4 months study with opengl were equivalent to 1 year with directx
To be honest,I must say that I learnt 6.0.
I went through 8.0 and I got the impression that it is easier, thanks for example to the common files.
It worth learning directx,if you want to become a professional or at least a shareware game developer.
I you develop games just for fun, I can not see any reason.
In my opinion Directx 8.0 is a more advanced API than Opengl but not to a such extent to justify the efforts for learning it.

DX is FUN FUN FUN, if you learned C++ you can learn DX, just gotta take some time and patience.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

NeXe

My Homepage
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

AlbertoT
Cmon man,you''re scaring me!
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
DX8 and OpenGL are roughly equivalent in terms of ease of use (assuming you use the examples, the docs, and all the resources available to you).

The hardest part will be things like "What the heck is a projection matrix??", and that will be true in either API.

It''s getting to be that the "draw a triangle" on the screen app is pretty similar in both APIs. DirectX may have a few more lines of code, but the lines do not contain any black magic.

Be warned though.. I think the red OpenGL book is very good at explaining the basics (applicable in both APIs). I think the majority of DX books have at least one chapter that is "the wrong way" to do something.

Bottom line. Get both SDKs. Create the simple "draw a triangle" app. See which one "feels" better.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement