Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ByteMe95

firewalls and routers blocking dplay traffic

ByteMe95    122
I started coding my game about 1 1/2 years ago and therefore used dx5 to code it. Now I''m trying to playtest but everyone with a hardware firewall or router with a firewall cant connect due to that. And its getting very frustrating cause ?I hardly have anyone to playtest with now! And im sure it wont be good for the game, so anyone know why this happens and how to possibly fix it?? ByteMe95::~ByteMe95() Cerebrum Software

granat    122
Well as long as those behind the firewall initiate the communication then it should work I think.

I have a router which connects my computer to the internet. I could not get traffic through to it when other machines from outside tried to contact it. I had to "open" the desired port in the router before it could work.

(I''m using WinSock though).

JonStelly    127
Look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q240429

Didn''t see one for DirectPlay5. To figure out what is used for your game, I would run Network Monitor, take a look at netstat -a and figure out what ports you''re using based on those tools.

ByteMe95    122
hmm, that url looks like exactly what I need but I need it for dx5.
I tried running netstat a couple of times, but every time it''s a different port so it wouldnt be easy guessing the range

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
Cerebrum Software