Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ElusDude

DX Control Panel App in Win XP?

As the DirectX 8.0a SDK docs state, there''s a control panel application that allows you to switch between debug and retail mode, and other stuff. This app was in my control panel with windows 2000, but ever since upgrading to Win XP, it''s not there anymore. Could anyone point me to where it''s new location is or if it''s disabled with XP or something?

Unless I''m mistaken, when you run dxdiag from the run command and when you go into the control panel to access the DirectX SDK control panel application, they are 2 different things. I was looking at how to get to the control panel application one, as opposed to the normal DirectX diagnostics utility.

Install the DirectX ***8.1*** SDK on your WindowsXP machine. And ensure you select the Debug runtime when prompted.

WindowsXP contains DirectX ***8.1*** runtime (*not* the SDK) as standard. If you try installing the DirectX 8.0(a) SDK, then the installation will very likely not complete properly since it thinks you''re trying to install an *older* version than is already on the machine.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com