Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brackus

I need a 'C' compiler!!!

Brackus    122
Hello, I am a University student, whose programming course this term is in ''C''. Now, I have a problem, they are installing the compiler on students computers for free, but, you have to let them install linux first. Now, I dont want linux on my computer, nor do I have the 3 gigabytes free they are saying I need, so... I was wondering, if anyone knows of a website, that I could download a NICE, FREE, STABLE compiler for windows 98??? Now, please no bashing of windows, I play games that Linux does just not like, so no cracks about "nothing is stable on windows please" But if someone could tell me where to find what I need, that would be great! Thanks, Dustin

monkeyman    253
Goto:

www.delorie.com

and download djgpp, it will be enough to get you started..

btw it''s not specific to windows, but I''ve heard rumors that you can compile win32 code with special libraries(I''ve never verified this)..

At the very least, it''s a GREAT free compiler(with lots of extras to get you going)for dos, and many people here started with it..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

LessBread    1415
LCCWin32 for C and the Dev-C++ IDE from Bloodshed for C++ (which uses MingW) will be the easiest to get started with. Both of them have self installers and both of them will compile Win32 progs that don''t require helper libraries to run.

‘But truth's a menace, science a public danger.’ Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Promit    13246
Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

Before i get bashed, i should say that i know he said ''free''. Although it is a very expensive tool, it is very easy to get a ''free'' version(ie copy). It carries no copy protection at all

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

CrazedGenius    156
Or...

Many times, prices on MS products are substantially reduced for students. If that''s the case, I''d recommend spending a little bit and going with dev studio. At a reduced rate, it will be worth every penny.

Rube    122
Before you go off downloading compilers, find out if your professor wants you to submit compiled programs with your source code. If that''s the case, then you might want to set up a dual-boot or maybe VMWare so you can do so.

If the professor will compile it himself or herself, then shouldn''t matter.

Personally, I would just get a dualboot setup or find a linux shell account to work on (If you can''t get a Linux shell account at your University, than that''s just pathetic) and use the tools mentioned in class to avoid any confusion.

R.

ATronic    122
You can purchase a good compiler called CodeWarrior for around $50.00 USD. I forget what edition it is, but it''s designed primarily for students, makin'' it super-cheap. It does everything you would need too, has super optimization, and can later be expanded with new features should you want to but them (ie: console compilers (ps2...)).

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"

Kwizatz    1392
if everyone else is coding on linux gcc, then cygwin is the closer you will get to everyone else, also of course you can use djgpp and mingw32 (the later my personal favorite) which are gcc ports as well (cygwin is a whole enviroment) but unless you are going to be coding only console apps (and even then) you will find diferences between the linux and windows world, should ask first how deep into programming for eighter OS you will get.

if you already know all you need is a compiler. . . get mingw32, if you want an IDE for it, get LCC or Dev-C++

Edited by - kwizatz on January 15, 2002 11:49:07 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You can also get a copy of Borland Turbo C/C++ from borlands site (they have older versions for free).

Billy

jenova    122
isn''t Borland C++ Builder free? i think it is. as well can''t you download the VC++ command-line tools (not sure)? all in all VC++ 6.0 is the best IDE out of there.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Cirian    122
Nup, BCB isn''t free (though there are certain not very legal at all ways of getting free copies), however, it was covermounted on PCPlus a while back..... (where I got my copy)....

Drakonite    215
Personally... I think you should set your computer up to dual-boot linux and windows... Saying nothing about stability what so ever, it will be a great asset for you to understand how to use linux.

And saying that linux and some of your games don''t get along... well, let''s put it this way... if you set up a dual boot, when you boot in windows, your computer has no clue that linux is there. If you think linux interfered with your apps when you were booted into windows something else was wrong....

Try to find out what c/c++ compiler everybody else is using. Chances are it''s gcc, so cygwin is probably the best choice.