I need a 'C' compiler!!!

Started by
14 comments, last by Brackus 22 years, 3 months ago
if everyone else is coding on linux gcc, then cygwin is the closer you will get to everyone else, also of course you can use djgpp and mingw32 (the later my personal favorite) which are gcc ports as well (cygwin is a whole enviroment) but unless you are going to be coding only console apps (and even then) you will find diferences between the linux and windows world, should ask first how deep into programming for eighter OS you will get.

if you already know all you need is a compiler. . . get mingw32, if you want an IDE for it, get LCC or Dev-C++

Edited by - kwizatz on January 15, 2002 11:49:07 AM
Advertisement
You can also get a copy of Borland Turbo C/C++ from borlands site (they have older versions for free).

Billy
isn''t Borland C++ Builder free? i think it is. as well can''t you download the VC++ command-line tools (not sure)? all in all VC++ 6.0 is the best IDE out of there.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Nup, BCB isn''t free (though there are certain not very legal at all ways of getting free copies), however, it was covermounted on PCPlus a while back..... (where I got my copy)....
the borland command line compiler is free, but you get no IDE...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Personally... I think you should set your computer up to dual-boot linux and windows... Saying nothing about stability what so ever, it will be a great asset for you to understand how to use linux.

And saying that linux and some of your games don''t get along... well, let''s put it this way... if you set up a dual boot, when you boot in windows, your computer has no clue that linux is there. If you think linux interfered with your apps when you were booted into windows something else was wrong....

Try to find out what c/c++ compiler everybody else is using. Chances are it''s gcc, so cygwin is probably the best choice.
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement