I need a 'C' compiler!!!

Started by
14 comments, last by Brackus 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I am a University student, whose programming course this term is in ''C''. Now, I have a problem, they are installing the compiler on students computers for free, but, you have to let them install linux first. Now, I dont want linux on my computer, nor do I have the 3 gigabytes free they are saying I need, so... I was wondering, if anyone knows of a website, that I could download a NICE, FREE, STABLE compiler for windows 98??? Now, please no bashing of windows, I play games that Linux does just not like, so no cracks about "nothing is stable on windows please" But if someone could tell me where to find what I need, that would be great! Thanks, Dustin
Mess With the Best, go down like the rest, but please visit:http://members.tripod.com/nu_bgameprogramming/
Advertisement
Try LCC. It''s a very good compiler.

Or if you have the patience, install CYGWIN. But that takes a long time.

"Non-vegetarians are all sluts" --Gyzmo
There''s the Windows port of GCC - MingW as well as the free version of the Borland command-line compiler. Google is your friend.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Goto:

www.delorie.com

and download djgpp, it will be enough to get you started..

btw it''s not specific to windows, but I''ve heard rumors that you can compile win32 code with special libraries(I''ve never verified this)..

At the very least, it''s a GREAT free compiler(with lots of extras to get you going)for dos, and many people here started with it..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
LCCWin32 for C and the Dev-C++ IDE from Bloodshed for C++ (which uses MingW) will be the easiest to get started with. Both of them have self installers and both of them will compile Win32 progs that don''t require helper libraries to run.

‘But truth's a menace, science a public danger.’ Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

Before i get bashed, i should say that i know he said ''free''. Although it is a very expensive tool, it is very easy to get a ''free'' version(ie copy). It carries no copy protection at all

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Or...

Many times, prices on MS products are substantially reduced for students. If that''s the case, I''d recommend spending a little bit and going with dev studio. At a reduced rate, it will be worth every penny.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
Screw everyone else''s post, get the dos-based C compiler called DJGPP, ull get it if ya search for delorie. Its old , crap, but theres some genius there.
Lord Archer
Before you go off downloading compilers, find out if your professor wants you to submit compiled programs with your source code. If that''s the case, then you might want to set up a dual-boot or maybe VMWare so you can do so.

If the professor will compile it himself or herself, then shouldn''t matter.

Personally, I would just get a dualboot setup or find a linux shell account to work on (If you can''t get a Linux shell account at your University, than that''s just pathetic) and use the tools mentioned in class to avoid any confusion.

R.
You can purchase a good compiler called CodeWarrior for around $50.00 USD. I forget what edition it is, but it''s designed primarily for students, makin'' it super-cheap. It does everything you would need too, has super optimization, and can later be expanded with new features should you want to but them (ie: console compilers (ps2...)).

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement