• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Character movement in 3d games

This topic is 5880 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am trying to create a 3d third person game. I can model ,place bones, do movement ,add keyframes and texture the characters in 3DS MAX4. I just have a few questions about their movement. 1. What should I export to do those movements in the game using max script? 2. How to do the movements in the game. Thanks Mavric Edited by - Mavric on January 14, 2002 11:30:25 PM

Advertisement
Whoa! Hang on there... Its one thing to make skeletal objects with joints and such in a modeler- BUT if you don''t know how to use DirectX you better start at a slightly easier level, like tetris or pong!

There is not a real simple answer for your question and I think you need to clarify a bit more.

Let me take first what I think you are asking for is to export a model to a game format for a design program. Following are some aspects and resources for you to follow.

An excellant site to check out for 3D game models is:
www.polycount.com
roque13 has a great site and present a section for tools to use for a number of games that allow exporting models from major 3D design packages (3DS, MAX, Lightwave, Maya, etc)

Look for NPherno''s NST it''s a good program, support UV mapping, etc. Also a program called MilkShape3D allows importing and exporting to a wide range of formats. He does support skeletal animation. - http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

If you use Lightwave, I am working on upgrading my UnrealSaver Plug-in (worked with LW 5.0 to output Animated Unreal Objects) - I am working to output to the MilkShape format since doing that provides the ability to load and output to many games - Half Life, Quake2, 3, Unreal, Max Payne, the list goes on

Now to create a format and use it in a 3D engine of your own that''s fun, currently working on that now. . Let me describe some techniques for animations.

1) the object is really static (no moving parts within the object) and simply translates/rotates within the world coordinates.

2) The object has moving parts let''s say a sub with props on the back. You can use vertex based animation - interpolation. The Unreal Game utilized this. You have a vertex list per frame and a polygon (triangle) with a vertices indices list. So for whatever frame your on, the polygon is drawn with the vertices location for that point int time Frame 2 of 30, etc. I used LW bones and displacement for the animation aspect on a single mesh.

3) Skeletal is more hierachial, and as you''ve probably dealt with in the 3D program you can tie IK to it, but when a parent object is rotated, etc the child objects are affected in the same manner. Or in the aspect of IK, the rules of the joints can allow a child to move and force the appropriate settings down through the IK chain to the parent objects. Your going to find multiple meshes.

Hope this helps, I am looking for any feedback on techniques, articles etc, particulary on data structures for the objects and techniques around skeletal animation for things I am working on now.

Chuck Durham
"panthrd"
chuck@teampanther.com

• Advertisement