text based rpg; please help me

Started by
7 comments, last by grine 21 years, 3 months ago
hi. anyway, the other night i though about making another rpg while i work on the plot of the one i told you about. anyway, this is going to be text based with music and it probably will have graphics. i have an idea of what it will be like, but what would you people like to see for the world? As in, would you like it to set in a generic fantasy world, the futuristic city, a space station, whatever? Also, there wil lbe no proper plot to this game, as it will be a true role-player. you go around and act out various quests and missions and some of the quests will be big enough to take up an entire story of another game, while there will mostly be medium sized quests and small ones. also, i need to have enemies. what kind would you like to see? this is a serious game, but any humorous suggestions are appreciated, as i intend on making a comedy later sometime. what kind of quests should i include? I need lots. anyway, i'll think my own suggestions for this as well. who would be interested in playing this? the AI will be advanced, it will be a massive game world; as big as i can make, and like mentioned before, there will be lots of quests. anyway, i am including a system where is you act evil and then pray to the evil gods, you might be rewarded by them, depending on how you acted and prayed. also, the same system works if you're acting good. if you act neutral nothing will happen if you pray, although if you preay to the evil gods they might hurt you for wasting time. also, if your evil and you pray to the good gods, the good gods will punish you for your idiocy and cruelness etc. any ideas are appreciated. thankyou. Edited by - grine on January 15, 2002 2:06:13 AM
If you invent a time machine and travel back and forward through time, what would happen if you travelled to the time when the Universe doesn''t exist anymore?
Advertisement
How about if it''s set in your own mind?

You are basically trapped there, due to a new halucinatory drug that''s been going around, and you must find your way out. Inside, you will be fighting incarnations of your fears like arachnaphobia, vertigo etc. The world could consist of your happiest memories or your worst nightmares, giving you a lot of creative possibilities. You may even glimpse other people''s minds if you overcome certain fears...

Crazy idea huh?
*********-.o-**********
Garrot.
That is honestly one of the best ideas I''ve ever heard.
Thanks for it. I''m definately going to use that in one of these games (i''m going to make several interactive fiction games).

Thank you thank you, THANK YOU!!!
If you invent a time machine and travel back and forward through time, what would happen if you travelled to the time when the Universe doesn''t exist anymore?
any more ideas are welcome.
thanks
okay.
i''ve started working on this game.
I would of suggested something but I was in awe at Garrots idea, and it totally slipped my mind.
UPDATE!!!
Hi everyone. Like mentioned before, I''ve been working on this game. I''d appreciate any help I can get when I tell you what I''ve done of the plot. Also, if you could give me any ideas of what you''d like to play in future IF (interactive fiction) games, that''d be good.

Okay, before I tell you what I''ve done of the plot, I''ll tell you about the game mechanics (I''ve started it).

You act however you want to act, like you should in RPG''s. You create a character''s name and possibly some stats and stuff and off you go. There will be as many areas as I can get in the game, and that will be alot. The AI of the NPC''s will be pretty good. that''s all i can remember.

oh. gotta go.
tell you about the plot another time.
Hey, grine, I see you just joined Gamedev. Welcome!

I was just wondering whether you have ever created this type of game before. It sounds like a cool project, and you have quite a few nice features planned. But sometimes it can be easier to conceptualize something like this than to implement it. That is why so many people begin to create a game but do not complete it.

As I don''t know you, I really can''t tell what your programming experience is like. If I might make a suggestion, it might be easier to complete this game incrementally. In other words, first get one system up and running, then add another. For example, you might get the basic game interface working first, then add individual game mechanics one or a few at a time.

You mentioned that you want the game world to be huge. But it might be better to begin with a very small world, a basic interface, and a single, simple quest.

Good luck with your project. And have fun with it!

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
I would like to suggest something. Instead of just doing everything from the beginning it would be a good idea to use some kind of game editor and concentrate on the development of your game instead of spending time to write the interface for example.

So here is my suggestion.
Visit http://www.legendarytales.com
and perhaps you will find what you seek.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement