Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ion_blaster

I wanna make the ultimate fps/strategy game, but i have a few problems!

Ion_blaster    122
I''m not a very good artist and i''m kinda new to proggraming. How do i make a human down to the bones and nerv endings while having good graphics and not taking to much memory? Also, i want to make it so the humans have all the parts and organs in him for more effect. Go 4 it!

Oluseyi    2109
quote:
Original post by Ion_blaster
How do i make a human down to the bones and nerv endings while having good graphics and not taking to much memory?

Nerve endings?! What do you need nerve endings for in an FPS?

quote:
Also, i want to make it so the humans have all the parts and organs in him for more effect.

Unnecessary. We have just too many parts to effectively manipulate in real-time on current consumer hardware.

Aim big. Start small (ie, Pong).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Golthar    122
You have to keep in mind what is possible these days, or otherwise you will get stuck halfway.
Compare it with a racing game.
You could simulate the fuel usuage by taking a gallon per 2 miles.

Thats the easiest...with every mile, substract 0.5 from your fuel and if its empty, then stop the engine

What you can also do is look at how fast the car is going and adjust the fuel usage to your speed.
So when you go faster, you use more.

You can even take it further.
If you are in high gear but low speed, it means you are running low rpms, meaning you use less fuel.

What you can also do (your aproach) is keep objects the size of drops in your fueltank and constantly calculate if if you are getting enough fuel to the engine and if not, decrease its efficiency..

Ofcourse it has higher realism, but at the cost of speed.
But why make it so hard?
for instance, if you just randomize your fuel usuage slightly, you can have a pretty realistic feel of your drive times (it will always be around the same amount of time, but never perfect)
And you should keep the units in gallons.
Keep it simple.

As with organs...just draw them nicely and have a % chance of them splattering out when they get hit.

To make a long post short...just keep it simple or you will do way to much work

Ion_blaster    122
I have a good idea. How about when a person gets shot or blewn up, then it internally creates the organs and gunshot wounds then they fly out. MAybe onto the screen.

Go 4 it!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I thought he was a troll as well, until I read that truly terrible website in his profile.

eldee    122
bahahaa.. he took the website down.
damn, i wanted to see it.

dude, if you''re new to programming and you suck at art.. well..
you dont have a whole lot going for you at the moment.
but we all start somewhere.. i suggest you
1) learn to program better
2) program a small demo or game
3) program about 10 more small games getting incrementally more
advanced
4) try working on your crazy blood game (which by the way would
be of pure novel interest, because how many times can you see
a fake lung fly across the room before you start to say "ok, this
is stupid".
take mortal kombat 2 for instance... lame! they got too carried
away with body parts and shit.. when you did one of those
''exploding'' fatalities on someone, like, 4 sets of intestines
flew out along with 6 or 7 arms.. rediculous.
not to mention they bounced like they were solid..
took away from what little effect it had.
if i were you id'' focus my interest in areas that are more
appealing to mass audiences... ie) simulating real world
weather affects, physics, ect...

like Oluseyi said.. start small, then get progressively
more advanced.. because if you start doing a project of this
magnitude and realize how difficult it really is, you''ve
just wasted time and will only be disheartened from doing
anything else.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

Ion_blaster    122
Thats what I''m planning to do...
1.> LEarn to proggram better (havent in years)
2.> MAke a few demos for my upcoming games
3.> MAke roughdrafts of my main product
4.> Publish the demo here and sell the real thing in stores (maybe)

Go 4 it!

eldee    122
ok well..
judging from your posts, you dont even know how to program
yet...?
yet you''re trying to make a FPS with nerve endings and
guts flying everywhere?

by starting small i mean... try to create a game loop.
simple one at that..
ie) pong, asteroids, breakout.. something simple.

im not trying to discourage you from your dreams, im just
saying you should put them on the back burner for now.
because if you attempt this project and fail due to
lack of programming knowledge, you''ll surely be
dejected from game development altogether.

start small

and before you know what you''re doing, dont ever
use the word ''sell'' when talking about your game.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

Drizzt DoUrden    100
You''ve got along way to go; a better question would be "where do I start?"

Well, first you have to choose which operating system you will develop for. Windows, MacOS, PalmOS, Linux, etc.

Next, you''ll have to decide on a language. I suggest C++ because it is currently the leading game development language, and is pretty easy to learn. If it''s too hard to learn, try going to C instead of C++.

After that, you''ll have to choose an API. There are many API''s for each operating system. I don''t want to start an API war so I won''t be the one to suggest which to use.

Finally, design your game: Make sure you have a firm design done for your game, in case you forget something you wanted to do during the middle of the development proccess, or if you decide you want to gather a team.

You should know that this all does not happen in one day, or month, also.

Good luck.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)

Tricron2    122
Bingo, you got to start small.

If you want to see results fairly quickly, I would suggest you get a copy of QBasic (on the net.. I also hear its on the windows CD)... Qbasics easy to install and fairly well documented with tutorials for beginners wanting to toy with graphics... Granted poor graphics that are kind of slow...

A different route would be to go get a GCE (Game creation engine) However you''d want to be very very carefull in choosing one, You''ve got to learn the basics, and if you pick something to advanced you''ll get confused lose interest and quickly find yourself nowhere.

Thirdly if your really want to learn something that will be usefull long term go get a copy of DJGPP, its a freeware C compiler... except you need to be knowledgable with computers to get it working. Read: There is no ''happy wizard installer''... more DOS.

Lastly, you should really figure out where your going, so you want to make a quake killer? For what? What do you need to know? What Operating system? What language will you do it in? Where do you start?

I don''t think you could answer any of those questions. To make your quake killer will take time. I''m thinking around 6 years to learn how to program at that level. Then another 6 years making the damn thing (remember ID software employs multiple programmers and works on their engine constantly... its the sum of ~6-8 years of work).

You''ve got an hard road ahead.
Of course, as for advice, I''m probably not the best (or near best) ''sage'' around, so I give way to others advice that conflicts with anything I''ve said here.

Ion_blaster    122
also, i dont want to make the nerve endings. i mean
copy em down to the nerve ending as in i want them
to actually look like living breathing humans and have
Final Fantasy X graphics. Also, whats so bad about publishing?

Go 4 it!

Ion_blaster    122
i made games before. my first was ED JASON''S SPACE BLASTERS! Its a Turn-Based Air Combat Simulator :p . my next was a fortune teller game. my next will be the best of the group even tho i havent proggramed in years. i made those games when i was 10!

now i''m 22 and 1/4. i been thinking of making my game i waanted to make since 10. but the story was altered till i made the ps1 version on RPG Maker. i even got a few books coming out about my game''s story. its a pretty big one. it should take no more than 3 years to complete with a team.

Go 4 it!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You MUST listen to what people are trying to tell you.

To do what you''re saying, unlikey as it is, could take you years....literaly!

It takes teams of programmers and artists to come up with the top selling titles you see on the video game store shelves and these are teams with great experience. Some writing the engine core including a graphics api, input, sound, memory management and file i/o, concept artists, 3d modellers, texture artists and animators.

By all means head the way you''re intending to but as has already been stated you should start with the most simple thing despite the fact that you have done some programming before. IMHO you should be asking yourself questions like

"what do I need? and what do I need to learn?"
"how am I going to write a 3d engine?"
"how am I going to learn how to model characters and animate them?"
"how will I get all that data out of the modeling program and into mine?"

- and then when you start (lets say you''re on a win32 platform)

"how do I write a basic win32 game shell?"
"how fo I set up Direct X or OpenGL?"
"how do I even draw a triangle in 3D!!!?"

...there''s just so much and you really don''t sound like you know what you could be undertaking...as it really isn''t realistic from what you''ve said.

...maybe start with somthing that seems stoopidly simple, like a real basic box shaped car...and just see if you can get it moving round a room which could just be a big cube. Or if you prefer...make a simple person....but I guarantee you''ll get a couple of hours into it and say "...$£"% this isn''t going to work...what the hell am I talking about" and that''s assuming you work out how to build anything at all.

I''m not trying to dicourage you...cos'' the world needs people who just won''t stop and as you put ot "Go 4 it!!!"

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Oh dear god. He''s taking the piss. ''22 and 1/4'' !?

bishop_pass    109
quote:
Original post by Golthar
You can even take it further.
If you are in high gear but low speed, it means you are running low rpms, meaning you use less fuel.

Not necessarily. In order to go a certain speed in high gear requires a more open throttle than in a lower gear. So, although the engine is sucking gas at a slower cyclic interval, it is sucking more gas per cycle.

Perhaps this will help one in their quest for splattering intestines? Probabaly not.

Edited by - bishop_pass on January 16, 2002 2:46:18 PM

Ion_blaster    122
ok. i think i know whaat to do now:

1. Get my buddies who helped me make the PS1 version of my game.
2. Re-learn how to program and try to remember the basics.
3. Start on the ultimate new FPS/Strategy/RPG/Mass-multiplayer game!

Go 4 it!