Format of design?

Started by
3 comments, last by SA-Magic 22 years, 3 months ago
What format do you use for designing games? I''ve created my own, but it''s fairly simple (Game name, overall type of game, unique factor, story, etc). Is there anything really specific to bear in mind when writing a design?
Advertisement
Its too extensive to go into in detail here. But either have a look at past posts on the Game Design forum or get one of the books on this. I like "Developers Guide to Computer Game Design" by Lewinski.
If you go here, this has some articles on game design, including design doc templates. Chris Taylor''s is very thorough.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
So you joined Gamedev yesterday, SA-Magic? Welcome!

An excellent resource is the collection of articles and tutorials here on Gamedev. At the top of your screen, just below the Gamedev logo, you should see a group of links. Click the one titled Articles & Resources. This will take you to another screen. Along the right edge of that screen will be another group of links. Check out the Game Design link.

Gamedev also features reviews of many books concerned with computer game development. Check those out! I have a copy of Game Design: Theory and Practice, which I think is very good.

Good luck!

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
Thank you for the welcoming, Jon.

I downloaded some of the templates and they are brilliant. My previous design documents were more like concepts, with not enough detail (weather? Multiple characters? Not mentioned). Thanks all. 8)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement