Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexDump

scrolling background in 3d.

I´m thinking about creating a little 3d shoot''em up arcade, just like the old space ship shooters (gunbird, terra cresta, 194X series). Background will be scrolled horizontally, but I can´t figure out how can I make this scroll. Should I have all the background graphics rendered and move the camera as the space ships goes left?, or what?. Thnx in advance. HexDump.

For a shoot ''em up, I''d suggest scrolling the background, you could move the camera , but scrolling would be a little simpler. Create a variable that holds the x value in the map, and render everything from there to the end of the screen. Rendering everything would be slow, as well as a waste since you can''t see most of it. I don''t want to get too specific because I don''t know if you''re using tiles or what. Post if you need more info.

Make games, it''s fun

I will use some models for the background, and a big texture for the most far layer (something like a piece of sky, etc...). I used to make backgrounds with tiles in my 2d projects, but I think there is not a good thing to used them here ( because you should render a lot of cuads), am I righ

I think using tiles would be more economical. You just create a tileset, and then you have endless combinations for countless maps. Otherwise you have to create a huge bitmap for each map. It''s up to you, it just seems to be a little easier.

Make games, it''s fun