server side problem - where to run it?

Started by
0 comments, last by VaderSB 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi! Currently, I''m developing a simple client-server program based on DirectPlay8. The purpose of it is to give the ability to all players to check if they are got enough points for World HighScores List, so it''s highscores updater. I have no problems in developing it, but I''ve faced a serious problem - where can I run the server part of it? Is there some companies that offer that kind of service? All I''ve found is the company that offers a dediated server, but it''s too expensive, especially in my case - the server part of my program isn''t a resource eater - it sends/recieves about 4-5kb per player... So, is there any cheap solution?? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Hrms, maybe a web hosted site?

Your ISP probably gives you some web space with your ISP service.

Store the scores in an XML page and then write your app to just get the XML data off the web page you post to update the high scores.

Then you would just need to update the location of the web page whenever you move it to keep the players with the recent high score list.

You probably don't even need XML if you don't want it. Just create your own page format and then download it and parse it into your game. Keep a timestamp on the page and only update if the last update is < current timestamp.

Oh, for updating you could use some clever FORMs to submit the updates. You could even add some basic user authentication or get into something more secure (write your own, encrypt the password, etc)

Whatcha think?

R.

Edited by - Rube on January 15, 2002 1:02:37 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement