The low frame rate spiral of death

Started by
7 comments, last by MrX02 22 years, 3 months ago
Help! I am writing a game with OpenGL. But I can absolutely NOT get frame rates above 12 FPS. My game map only has about 2000 triangles, what could slow it down that much? I have no blending, no game logic(yet), and the map is rendered in a display list before the game is started. I think its my code not my computer, as I am able to play games such as Max Payne with the details set fairly high.
Advertisement
What graphics card are you using, what type of window (full screen/windowed) are you using, bit-depth, etc, etc? and how are you displaying the polygons?

Billy
make sure you''re performing backface culling and (if possible)
frustrum culling
if you dont enable backface culling, its almost like you''re
rendering 4000 tri''s instead of 2000.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Eldee: What?! Why would it render 4000 instead of 2000 if you don''t have back-face culling enabled? If all 2000 triangles are facing you.. and you have back-face culling enabled... it slows the program down. Either way will display 2000 triangles. Now, if a lot of those aren''t facing you.. then back-face culling can make it less than 2000 displayed, but it will never make it MORE than what you send if you don''t enable it.

Billy
He means that on average you will draw half the number of triangles with backface culling on, and therefore drawing 2000 triangles with backface culling off is equivilent to drawing 4000 triangles with backface culling on in terms of the number of triangles actually rendered.

I''m guessing you knew that though...

www.elf-stone.com

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

back to the problem at hand ...

It''s seems too fast for a software rendering problem ... but too slow for hardware!

Trying posting some code in here
Also, if you post your computer''s spec it would be useful.

www.elf-stone.com

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Thanks for your help! My computer is a an HP desktop with a 900mhz celeron and had a S3 Savage 4 video card when i posted my original question. Since then, i replaced that card with a GeForce2 and my game runs fine. i guess the old card was broken or something...
No, it was just shite

www.elf-stone.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement