Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Normie

"The Zen of Direct3D" Question

Are the 2D rendering methods described in "The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming" -- those using LPDIRECT3DSURFACE8''s, for example -- viable in a real-world game? I''m not worried about the 3D stuff Walsh wrote about here, but the 2D stuff seems...well, iffy in terms of performance. Can anyone clarify for me? -Normie I am a devout follower of the "Lazy Programmer''s Doctrime"(tm)... and I''m damned proud of it, too! ----- "I came, I saw, I started making games." ... If you''ll excuse me, I must resume my search for my long lost lobotomy stitches.

His 2D mthods are not optimized and i dont think they are HW accelerated. They are best for things which should be kept simple and dont need any speed.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

shoot, and here I was beginning to think that that 2D font thing of his actually was "slick". ;-)

Okay, are there any other caveats I should look out for in the book? Thanks!

I am a devout follower of the
"Lazy Programmer''s Doctrime"(tm)...
and I''m damned proud of it, too!
-----
"I came, I saw, I started making
games." ... If you''ll excuse
me, I must resume my search
for my long lost lobotomy stitches.

quote:
Original post by Normie
shoot, and here I was beginning to think that that 2D font thing of his actually was "slick". ;-)

The idea of using a font bitmap for fast text is a good one, his implementation is very slow. On my site (www.drunkenhyena.com) there is a bit of code called ''dhFastFont'' which shows how to do the font bitmap thing using batches of textured quads, and it''s quite fast. There are probably other examples you could find (though mines really spiffy).

I''ve posted a few messages about the book, I really didn''t like it. To me it seems to be a handbook on how to do things the way the DirectX team tells you not to. The last few chapters are okay, but even then I had some issues. But that''s just my opinion, other people seem to have a higher opinion of it.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena