What exactly is an Engine

Started by
1 comment, last by Peaceman 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys, I''m starting with graphics programming, and came across a phrase, something like "you can use a pre-programmed and compied engine", but what exactly is a engine, how do u use one, and why can''t I use plain OpenGL without an engine??? thx
Advertisement
And engine is just the driving force behind your game. You can write your own engine, or use someone elses. If you use opengl to make a game, you make an engine (group of functions you call to make the game do things that you want it to do). If you use someone elses engine, it ussually has things like drawing routines, collision detection, level loading/displaying, built in. If you write your own game, you will have to write these things yourself (aka, write your own engine).

Engine = Driving force behind the game. An Engine is basically just the functions that the program uses to make it a game. A Graphics engine deals with the graphics part, a Network Engine deals with the networking, etc, etc. A Game engine tends to incorporate everything into a single project (or multiple engines in a single package).

Billy
Do a search on this subject in gamedev. You will find this question asked about 100 times.

Of course no one likes my advice so just do whatever your gonna do....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement