• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gammastrahler

Horizontal Velocity for First Person Shooter

This topic is 5997 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i have tried to incorporate a horizontal velocity in my movement code, where i use only one value for both x and z: the problem is that the acceleration and decceleration is not working constant, sometimes it is faster, then slower, or even there is no velocity at all or i must turn around the axis so it will work again.... the source code is as follows:

if (move)   // player is moving or strafing

velocity += 0.002 * 32;
else
    velocity -= 0.002 * 32;

if (velocity > 1.0) velocity = 1.0;
if (velocity < 0.0) velocity = 0.0;

// x delta and z_delta are already computed according to

// y and x axis of mouse look

// finally the velocity is applied:

x_delta *= velocity;  
z_delta *= velocity;

// set camera

camera[0] += x_delta;
camera[2] += z_delta;

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmm. What FPS are you running? If you call this once a frame, you''ll be at full velocity in 16 frames. If you''re running at, say, 75 fps, that''s zero to full speed in 2 tenths of a second. Shouldn''t you be multiplying by a time delta somwhere in there?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Gammastrahler
thankx, but x_delta and z_delta are multiplied by the time delta between each frame, this should be right i think?

Nope. You''re correcting your velocity for time, but not your acceleration. You need to use the time delta in your velocity += and -= lines.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!