Why have publishers made 2D extinct?

Started by
32 comments, last by SA-Magic 22 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by Supernova
Original post by SA-Magic
I''m sure the game would have sold a fair bit, though I suppose magazines would have slated it for not advancing enough in the realm of graphics. :-/

Yeah many reviewers are morons, simple as that. Many of them gave StarCraft a "fair" rating when it came out, because it didn''t have 3D graphics. And then they got their asses kicked into oblivion when the game sold a few million copies.

Yes, I agree with you. Most reviewers are mostly teenage kids.
Mostly the language they use is from low level. And not professional at all. The problem is that the press can kill a game. So publishers are very alert.

Advertisement
I''ve been playing Starcraft for years now- mostly due to the brilliant creation process the map maker presents. Fiction, script writing, voice recording, sound editing, music finding (Not composing yet) and level making are all part of it.
PCG UK gave StarCraft 82%, which I greatly disliked. By their Innovation? It had three unique sides yet was brilliantly balanced. The story has a dozen sci-ficliches, yet, as Half-life and Max Payne proved, it was the telling of the story that was superb.

I''m not sure I understand your teenage reviewer part though. ^_^
I don''t know how to quote in this ... so

"I understand what you''re trying to say, but you fail to consider than "realism", art and entertainment are not mutually exclusive (nor are you limited to 2 out of 3). Realism is the objective in all games that mirror real-world situations (most notably flight, combat and racing/driving simulations) - but only so much as does not detract from the art and entertainment."

Anyway ... the problem is ... i do NOT fail to realize that realism and entertainment are not mutually exclusive ... YOU fail to realize what I was saying ... I was arguing with another poster before you ... who said that all things would become 3D BECAUSE it was more realistic. I wholeheartedly agree that we will continue to develop more and more technique for achiving realistic games and simulations ... and this is a GOOD THING(tm). BUT ... I am simply agreeing with other posters that there is still a place for unrealistic / simple, 2D art and games.

Now ... about the 3D or 2D screen issue ... what i''m saying is that, just like a painting, a monitor is 2D, so everything you put on it is 2D - BY DEFINITION. Therefore talking of using 3D grpahics is really misleading ... when all we really mean is a 2D image that appears to model 3D more realistically - but you''ll notice that old 2D game technology has better looking and more realistic images than 3D games ... because they were precreated by artists to look realistic and good - but the games could''t support moving in 3D freely. Take a look at a unit in starcraft vs. a unit in total annihilation (2D vs. 3D rendering) .. starcraft units are more realistic. It''s actually a silly argument anyway ... so I''ll stop now.
quote:Original post by Xai
I don't know how to quote in this

On the top-right corner of each person's post is a "quote" button. Click it, and it will bring you to the Reply page, while pasting some UBB code in your post for you. Or you can type it yourself.

Anyway, in terms of the abundance of games in perspective view instead of an isometric view, that's due largely to publishers who feel such games are better-looking, even though isometric games allow for greater graphical detail.

But in terms of whether an isometric game uses realtime polygons or prerendered sprites, that's due largely to the developers, I think, because that allows for vastly superior animations, lighting, and model customization (you can deform it and mix'n'match components), and they can be rotated.

Someone mentioned the Sims. In that game, the people are drawn in real-time with polygons, because that way you can give them new skins and remodel them and give them new custom animations. None of that would be possible with sprites unless you devoted a huge amount of video memory to it.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Edited by - CGameProgrammer on January 24, 2002 4:48:12 PM

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement