Win32 begginers books?

Started by
4 comments, last by Sarlok 22 years, 3 months ago
Hey. Okay, before I ask, I''lljust give some insight as to my Experience for programming with Win32. .... Well. That''s that covered. Now, What sort of books would either of you suggest for somone that masically understands "Winmain() is essentially the same as main() as your main function"? If you could suggest anything that''d would be great, if not, well, that''s fine too. Oh, please, don''t tell me to goet MSDN. I have it (2001), but would like some more to go from as well. Thanks, Sarlok sarlok@onebox.com
Four-thousand, six-hundred, and ninety-one irradiated haggis.
Advertisement
well, "windows 98 programming from the ground up" is good, theres a few others, i always forget the name of (is it "windows programming", the microsoft press one?)

uhm, do a search on the forums, this questions been asked more than enough times, no doubt you will find a bit more info.

alan
well you could buy a couple books.

"Multiplayer game programming" would be good if you''re looking at doing an MMORPG, first book i got and its doing good (got it 3 days ago and ive already started making my own progs)

"c++ for dummies" maybe...

i dont know, i started out way different, i just skipped all the dos crap, and c, and just started learning the c++ right off the bat.
War is how Americans learn geography.
quote:Original post by Lugie
i dont know, i started out way different, i just skipped all the dos crap, and c, and just started learning the c++ right off the bat.

Well, I know the fundamentals for doing anything in DOS, I just want to start learning some of the Win32 makings for doing things with a GUI, and such, and later, maybe even OpenGL and the like. I''m aware I can''t do this overnight, but I''ve gotta start somewhere.
Although it might be a bit advanced for you yet, I found that Charles Petzold''s "Programming Windows, The Definitive Guide to the Win32 API" to be *the* book for win32 programming. It will take you a long time to get through the 1479 pages, but it also makes a perfect reference book after that...
Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157231995X/qid=1011161294/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_75_1/102-0368068-8968949

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
I recommend Windows 2000 programming from ground up, by Herbert Schildt/ Osborne.

This book is indeed a very good introductory book towards WIN32 programming.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement