RPG Questions

Started by
4 comments, last by Rickmeister 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m currently involved in developing a RPG engine and I would like you all to just answer two simple questions about gameplay and graphics. The engine is in a very early experimental state and we don''t know if it ever will be released. Still there is much work left and much code to ponder, but we have decided to ask around on online forums before it has grown to complex and the adding of new features will be a huge task. As for now we have decided to keep the idea secret, but I can reveal some of the details. The recepie follows: 1 cup of ELITE II 1 cup of BALDURS GATE 1 cup of DIABLO II 1 cup of SECRET INGREDIENTS And then we just add some MONKEY ISLAND and SIMON THE SORCERER for the flavour. Mix it all together and bake for about 1-2 years So, to the questions. 1. What would you rather have? Stunning, breathtaking raytraced hi-res multicolored background pictures or a world that is so complex that it would take years to explore every corner of it? 2. Would you like the "game-quest", the main purpose of it all, to be linear or would it be better if you could act more freely? Any comments or ideas are welcome. Screenshots will be posted in this forum when (if ever) they will become available.
Advertisement
(1) a complex world... eye candy is nice but doesn''t mean a thing after the first time you see it... gameplay, on the other hand, makes for replayability...
(2) not completely freely (then there''d be nothing to do)... but not completely linear either...

i have to warn you, i am programming an RPG also, and it has a tablespoon of ultima 4 as well...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
My RPG''ss still in the design stage, but it''s about 2 cups of Ultima VII, 1 cup of Thief: The Dark Project, and a teaspoon each of The Bard''s Tale, Final Fantasy 6, and Bloodwych.

Personally I always favour depth over anything else in RPGs, so my vote would be for a large world that you can explore whenever you want: a beautiful world that you explore in a linear fashion is little more than a pixellated movie.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
Wow... mine has 2 cups of "Holy Crap!", a pound and a half of "Oh my God, how'd you do that!?!", 3 heaping tablespoons of "Daaaaammmmnnn!", a pint of "That's friggin' cool!", 3 bottles of Petron (hey, we need something to get me, er, the game marinated) and a pinch of Arcanum, Baldurs Gate, Wizardry, and Ultima.

(Well, the current recipe has a half cup of "look at the purty sprites bouncing around on the screen" and two tablespoons of "what the hell do those stats MEAN anyway", but soon my Cake of Hurt-ening will be complete)

-Chris

PS: I like depth over flash, any day. That's why Arcanum is a great game, despite the fact the graphics engine blows several different species of monkey.

Also, though the game should have some sort of centralized plot, letting the player have fun with the world is always more important to me. So I would say make it 90% free, 10% guided (there needs to be something to complete in the world, otherwise, what's the point of being there)

-C

Edited by - crouilla on January 16, 2002 2:28:22 PM

Edited by - crouilla on January 16, 2002 2:33:39 PM
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com
Bloodwych - wow, how many people know that game? Maybe it was big on your side of the pond, but over here, I think I was the only one who played it. (on my Amiga - I even have it and the expansion disk lying around here somewhere....)

I guess there was a PC game done by the same guy(s?) - but I don''t think it had split-screen two-player mode (which was the best feature)...

Ah, memories...
-scott

(oh, and to answer the original post while I''m here:

1) complex game world! screw graphics.
2) 100% non-linear. don''t tell me what to do, or if you do, definately give me the option of not doing it or doing it my way.

Aaand, since I''m still typing, my game-in-progress is 2 cups roguelike, 2 cups Tactics Ogre, and 1 tbsp Ogre Battle. Add random quests, a participatable political climate, dynamic kingdoms, and functional trade routes, and there''s my game! Well, eventually, at least. )
quote:Original post by scaught
Bloodwych - wow, how many people know that game? Maybe it was big on your side of the pond, but over here, I think I was the only one who played it. (on my Amiga - I even have it and the expansion disk lying around here somewhere....)

It was reasonably popular here, but not as popular as Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder. Sadly.

quote:I guess there was a PC game done by the same guy(s?) - but I don''t think it had split-screen two-player mode (which was the best feature)...

I think the same team went on to make a game called Hexx, but I thought that had a 2 player option as well. I dunno.

quote:Ah, memories...

Indeed. Yet another old classic I''d like to bring up to date.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement