UML

Started by
15 comments, last by masonium 22 years, 2 months ago
does anyone know any good online references or tutorials for learning UML? I''d rather not purchase a book, but I will if nothing good is online. Also, does anyone know of any good UML editors? *not knowing exactly what UML is, I don''t know if I mean to say compiler, editor, interpreter, etc* No, HTML is not an OO language.
Advertisement
Visio is the best flow charting software out there. (even though i hate it, it''s still better then everything else) I''d reccommend buying a book on the subject. There''s so much more to UML then just learning the diagrams, design principles etc.
Also try to get a book that teaches you how to do them in Visio as this can be quite difficult to a novice Visio user.
UML books, due to ''UML'' being the latest buzzword, are hideously overpriced. That said, I read good reviews about "UML Distilled" which I went out and bought. It details the various diagramming methods quite well. But I can''t compare it to any other books as I haven''t read any.
I would agree with Kylotan, go get yourself a copy of UML Distilled. It may appear that you are not getting much book for you money, but it is, IMO, the best UML reference out there.

While your at it grab a copy of Martin Folwers ''Refactoring''. ISBN 0-201-48567-2. Both of these books should give you a good a grasp of UML and code design.
I think that there''s a tutorial on Rational''s(the makers of Rational Rose) website. You''ll probably have to search for it, as I can''t find it any more .

For a free UML tool, get ArgoUML. If you''re on Linux, yo''ve got dia. I''ve got access to Rational Rose on my uni computers, but I don''t really use the advanced features, apart from generating UML diagrams.

As for books, I''ve found UML in a nutshell (by O''reilly) a very good reference.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Avoid ArgoUML for now - it seems to have some issues with loading its own files - I've lost a few diagrams this way. (And of course the fact that its a Swing app, with the accompanying lack of responsiveness)

You dont need linux to use dia, btw - it works on Windows too.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.

Edited by - Arild Fines on January 16, 2002 5:42:47 AM
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Yeah rational rose seems to be the industry standard as far as tools are concerned. If I were u i''d go to their site and download the demo version to have a trial and see what it''s like. It''s pretty easy to use.
Rational Rose is the biggest pile of dingo poop as far as UML design is concerned. Just use Visio 2000, at least that one WORKS, is easy to use, and semi-adheres to the UML standard (and you can turn off error checking if it starts annoying you about things you''ve supposedly done wrong in your design).

You''d think that the company that pioneered UML (Rational) would actually stick to their own standard, wouldn''t you? Well, no, they don''t.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Avoid ArgoUML for now - it seems to have some issues with loading its own files - I''ve lost a few diagrams this way. (And of course the fact that its a Swing app, with the accompanying lack of responsiveness)

You dont need linux to use dia, btw - it works on Windows too.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.

Edited by - Arild Fines on January 16, 2002 5:42:47 AM

Where would you find dia for Windows??? Just wondering as I''m at work and not able to search around right now.
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Here: http://hans.breuer.org/dia/

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement