Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grine

favorite text adventures/interactive fiction

grine    122
hi. what are your favorite interactive fiction games of all time? Mine are: - Virtua School - Spider & the Web - The Hitchhiker''s Guide to the Galaxy

Kylotan    10011
The Hobbit had a great parser for its time, and the Lord of the Rings was good in letting you stray from the path of the book to explore the world. (The only way you could feel that you were in Middle Earth, pre-Peter Jackson ) I also liked the Time and Magik trilogy: Lords of Time, Red Moon, and the Price of Magik. These were interesting games and, despite all having very different ''feels'' to them, actually worked well together as part of the greater story. And in more recent times, one game I played (and liked) on the PC was Jacaranda Jim, which was somewhat surreal.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

mumboi    122
Hitchhiker''s Guide to the Galaxy was a cool game. I''m proud to say I got out of the first room with no spoilers =p
Unfortunately I forgot to pick up mail or something and the house kept getting demolished so I gave up. I should try again sometime but all text adventures really annoy me. I''m not very patient =p

Diodor    517
This is an easy choice for me, since I only played one of these for more than 5 minutes: Heist: The Crime of the Century.

Rube    122
Planetside? The game where you''re the Janitor left alive in the space station and have to control the robots.

R

allgoodnames    122
Now after the advent of 3D, would you still sit down, play and enjoy a good text adventure/interactive fiction?

I''m only asking ''cause I''m trying my hand at making one with a friend.

http://envy.nu/anykey

llyod    122

allgoodnames:

There is a large community playing and writing Interactive Fiction. For best results, go to

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/inform.html

and use the Inform language. This way you can play your
text adventures on virtually everything with a CPU
and a display.

There should also be links to other IF community sites..

Regards,
llyod

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster

"The Hobbit had a great parser for its time, and the Lord of the Rings was good in letting you stray from the path of the book to explore the world. "

Where can I find these games?

Kylotan    10011
I played them on my Amstrad CPC, back in the late 80s. If you really want them, try abandonware or emulator sites. But I can''t post addresses for you on here as most abandonware and emulators tread on dubious legal ground and thus should not be associated with GameDev

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]