Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

valg3

Window Class

I''ve got a class that initializes a full screen OpenGL window. However, I declare an instance of it as an extern, and I manipulate it from thre in WinMain() and WndProc(). Here''s the problem: I want to be able to declare an instance of that class and name that instance anything I want like CAppWindow *myGame; etc. Now, because WndProc() doesnt know what the name of our instance is how would I go about telling WndProc() what window is calling it so that I can call certain functions within the class if certain windows messages are queued? --valg3

There are 2 things built into windows that are your best friends in this case:

1. GetWindowLongPtr()/SetWindowLongPtr(). Use GWLP_USERDATA to store the pointer to your class (or better yet, when you register the window class, add sizeof(DWORD_PTR) bytes to cbWndExtra, and use that space to store your pointer).

2. SetProp()/GetProp().

Read the docs on those functions. If it doesn''t hit you on how to do this, well, think about it until it does =).

Note: if you aren''t running a recent PlatformSDK, then you''ll want GetWindowLong/SetWindowLong. The *Ptr functions were added later for compatibility with 64bit pointers.

As for which one to use, if it''s your window and window class, then go with GetWindowLongPtr(). If it''s a system window class (like "EDIT") use GetProp() (just in case the system class is already using GWLP_USERDATA).

-Brannon