Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Platformers???

This topic is 5809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a basic programmer (BASIC and basic ) and I want to know: What language has good speed, but is sprite object oriented. Kinda like Flash Actionscript, but with a little more backbone. I already created a platform engine with Flash, but if you have like a bunch of platforms, it runs really slow. I want to be able to create an EXE with hardware acceleration. Should I use DirectDraw, or something like that. Also, are there any books that can introduce me??? Thanks, - Yohan -

I think Dark Basic uses sprites. It also requires DirectX to run, but you do not need to know DirectX. If you are looking for raw speed, then C/C++ is the way to go. Then you use DirectX or OpenGL. This route though, you need to do everything yourself. Sprites are not built in(maybe in DirectX8). A good book to start with is Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe. A lot of people here have read that book and can help with any problems you encounter along the way. It is based on DirectX.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home