Read TOTWGPG need advice on what to do next?

Started by
1 comment, last by Sir_Spritely 22 years, 3 months ago
Hey, Okay I don''t know if my brain is doing overtime here or what but I have finished reading and in some cases re-reading Lamothe''s Tricks book. I am fairly okay with all the components that go into a game. However when I have come to write one my own way using my own methods I have hit a mind block. I know how to plan properly it''s just getting started with the code, my brain just seems to be at a junction. Basically what it is, is trying to put all the components together which I think is the problem for me, either that or I need a long holiday and some sleep. The am starting simple and doing a breakout version something very easy and simple and then moving on towards the more difficult stuff. Any advice on starting off once you have everything down would be appreciated. Thanks, Pk
Advertisement
If you are going to do it using bitmaps, start by drawing some simple and crude ones. You are only going to use them as place holders, but this will get something visual going. Once you get them created, draw them to the screen. Put in code to control the paddle. Put in collision detection. Add all the finishing touches, like scores and sounds.

I just suggest this way, because I find that once I get something visual on the screen, that gives me a direction to go. Even if it is different than the one I planned.

EDIT: I missed a lot of details, like player menus etc... Just fill in the blanks. This should get you started.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home

Edited by - CaptainJester on January 16, 2002 9:11:55 AM
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Whatever you do try not to plan on the game being really really cool because if your anything like me you''ll learn sooooo much about making games when you finish with this one that you''ll want to dive right ino the next one. Keep it simple and you''ll apply your time better to the next project.

zipless
/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement