Hello

Started by
15 comments, last by AlekM 22 years, 2 months ago
I just want to say Hello and let everyone know that I have been Windows Free for 3 weeks now and I''m loving it! Loki games have made the transition a lot easier as I am a game player, I need my game fix everyone once in a while. Playing Kohan and enjoying it. - Rotiart Swodniw
Advertisement
Congratulations! Unfortunately, I''m not entirely windows-free yet... I still have it on this computer, primarily for the games, but I usually only boot up windows about once a week. Most of the time, I''m running good old Slackware

rm -rf /bin/laden
Like being "Windows-free" is a virtue. Read my FAQ; I don''t allow OS bashing around here.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I wasn''t OS bashing. Where in my post did I say "Winbl0wz sux0rs, d00dz!!!"

You should be pleased to notice I did not, thank you very much. I simply said (indirectly, might I add) that I do not like Windows. I wasn''t bashing it at all.

rm -rf /bin/laden
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Like being "Windows-free" is a virtue. Read my FAQ; I don''t allow OS bashing around here.

I think CmndrM is right; no one did anything wrong in my opinion.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I don''t think he was talking to CmndrM; I think he meant the original poster.

Personally (as a Windows user) I didn''t find it offensive. I don''t see a reason for claiming it is "windows-bashing."

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I wasn''t talking to CmndrM (Drizzt gets the cookie).

I happened to feel that the "windows free" comment was unnecessary and irrelevant - using and/or being interested in a *nix is sufficient justification for posting here, and is worthwhile in and of itself. Furthermore, the phrase structure is perjorative; I do not know of any "X-free" phrase where X is considered a positive thing. Therefore, I felt justified to use the term "OS bashing."

No offense intended.

AlekM: welcome.

I can see there is a lot of humor in this forum.

I used the term ''Windows Free'' in the same way you would use it if in some kind of a support group, it was not meant to bash an OS in any means. I have been a Windows user since day 1 and decided to try an alternative to windows. Not because I believe that it sucks or that it''s not a good OS. I did no comparision between OS in this forum, nor did i mention anything negative, nor anything positive. I simply stated being on Linux was not as big of a change as I was anticipating.

And as far as Rotiart Swodniw goes, it was a personal joke between my friend and I. He called me that and we laughed all night about it. Took me a while to get it. It was funny at the time, never thought of it as offensive.

I was hoping to introduce myself to the forum and possibly get some hello''s.

Touchy place I''m in.

- Good bye
quote:Original post by AlekM
And as far as Rotiart Swodniw goes, it was a personal joke between my friend and I. He called me that and we laughed all night about it. Took me a while to get it. It was funny at the time, never thought of it as offensive.

Nobody considered it offensive.

quote:Touchy place I''m in.

- Good bye

Unfortunate you should choose to leave us. We''re not that bad. Besides, there are often misunderstandings when people first become acquainted. Do you forget about it and turn your back on what could be a fruitful relationship because of one mistake? I apologize if I made you feel unwelcome; that was by no means my intention.

Truth is, I love Windows (2000 pro, thankyouverymuch - and yes, I use DirectX exclusively). In fact, I haven''t run Linux in... about a year (and I''m the moderator!) I also have extensive experience with the popularity of Windows bashing in the Linux community, which is why I''m very proactive against it. We''re here because we use/like/love Open Source/Free Software/UNIX/Linux/innovation. That should be good enough.

Once again, I apologize and bid you welcome.

quote:Original post by Oluseyi
I use DirectX exclusively.

And you thought that he was inciting an argument ? You''re lucky I knew what you meant .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement