C++ and M$ Access

Started by
8 comments, last by griffenjam 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m trying to write a database interface in C++ so I can store a user list in an Access database. But the only info I can find is hard to read and makes it very hard to access the data. Plus it crashes if a field isn''t filled in. Does anyone have any good info, websites, alternitives to Access that are "easy" to use with C++. Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net -Making "alot" a real word one paragraph at a time.-
-Can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me, can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Advertisement
if all you are doing is storing a user list, you might as well just save the data in a regular file... even if you want it to be secure (not that MS Access is so very secure) you can encrypt your file.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Either use SQL or ODBC (or Jet). I''d recommend SQL because the code will be portable among several databases.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I don''t have SQL Server, does that matter?
I only wanted to use Access because I''ve written several Access databases and done a bit of ASP work so I know all about the VBA way to do what I wanted to do.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net
-Making "alot" a real word one paragraph at a time.-

-Can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me, can''t sleep, clown''ll eat me.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
no, you do not need SQL server. create the SQL database with Access and then you can manipulate it with SQL commands from C++ (i.e. INSERT, UPDATE, etc). i''ve only done this with DAO and VB, but i believe it''s very similar.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Look up ADO on MSDN. It sounds like what your looking for...

If you have accessed a database from an ASP page, its likely that it was using ADO. The same objects can be used from C++ with *almost* the same amount of ease.

-z
z b: yeah, ADO. not DAO. ooops. it was 2 yrs. ago when i did that. but you are correct...

quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Either use SQL or ODBC (or Jet). I''d recommend SQL because the code will be portable among several databases.

You''re sort of comparing apples and potatoes here. SQL is a language for interacting with a database, ODBC represents an interface for connecting to one.
You''d have to use SQL through ODBC as well - at least I dont know of any way to use ODBC without SQL.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
  #import "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msado15.dll" rename("EOF", "_EOF")using namespace ADODB;  

Hope you know a little bit about COM...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
You''re sort of comparing apples and potatoes here. SQL is a language for interacting with a database, ODBC represents an interface for connecting to one.
You''d have to use SQL through ODBC as well - at least I dont know of any way to use ODBC without SQL.

I''m rusty; I did this a long time ago. Sue me.

I stand corrected, though.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement