Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chaos996

Ok.... so... C++

chaos996    122
So, C++ is the best for game programming... but I got C++ with Visual Studio, but that makes like DOS apps. Do I use a different compiler or what? - Yohan -

Fruny    1658
No. When you create a new project, you should get a choice of application type. If you want a ''pure'' windows application, choose "Win32 Application" as opposed to "Win32 console application".

Of course you''ll then have to learn the idiosyncrasies of Windows programming (as opposed to ''just'' C++ programming).

Prosper/LOADED    100
No, you don''t have to change your compiler. When you create your project, just select a "Win32 application" instead of a "console based application".

Sounds logical, doesn''t it ?

Fruny    1658
quote:
Original post by Prosper/LOADED
Doh! Fruny''s faster than me! :p

Encore trop lent, Petit Scarabée. Il te reste beaucoup de choses à apprendre.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
There should be other choices beyond console apps to create programs in VC++. I assume you are not using the old 16-bit compiler cd that comes in addition to the normal Visual Studio cds that install a NEWER version of Visual Studio.

I think at the minimum, Visual Studio''s first version came with VC++ 5.0. If you are using the VC++ 1.42 version, you are using the wrong one. I think Visual Studio cd1 has the newer VC++ program on it. The other was included so you can easily programs for older Windows and DOS systems.

Cirdan    122
if you created your project already and want to change it goto Project->Settings... (Alt+F7)->Linker->EditBox on the bottom and search for "/subsystem:console", change it to "/subsystem:windows"!

superpig    1825
Je ne sais pas, il n'y a pas un raison. Je pense qu'il est fou. Mais ca ne fait rien.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Edited by - superpig on January 16, 2002 1:33:35 PM

Fruny    1658
quote:
Original post by superpig
Je ne sais pas, il n''y a pas un raison. Je pense qu''il est fou. Mais ca ne fait rien.

I _AM_ crazy, and proud of it. Real life is waaaaay too boring to be taken seriously.