Why have you started?

Started by
3 comments, last by Akeron 22 years, 3 months ago
I know it's OffTopic but... Do you program in OpenGL for hobby or you're professionists? I mean, reading all the posts you seem to me very good at this, I wondered if some of you is working in this business, if this is the case, how have you done it? I admit I'm still learning how to program in OpenGL, but I know how to program the windows API and of course I know the C which is behind, I also know how to retrieve information from databases in Visual Basic, I know Html and java-script and Director and... Ok I don't want to bore you to death but nobody here seems to be interested in someone who is a (relative) newbie in this field but wants to improve himself to be a better programmer and to serve better the company in which he works in!!! I'm unenmployed and everytime I read the job announces I feel VERY angry: you have to know TONS of things\languages to work in this field, OR you have to be YOUNG!!!! I'm NOT old, but I'm 28 and nobody wants to give me a chance to grow, it makes me want to give up forever! I've sent HUNDRED of e-mails with my curriculum, done a LOT of job colloquies and the result is ZERO! I feel very paranoid and I often think why I've decided to start to program, I only know I like it, why have you started anyway? Edited by - Akeron on January 17, 2002 7:08:03 AM Edited by - Akeron on January 17, 2002 7:09:45 AM Edited by - Akeron on January 17, 2002 7:10:28 AM Edited by - Akeron on January 17, 2002 7:11:10 AM
Advertisement
I''ve started programming for fun.
I''ve started OpenGL because that''s what my University teached. And I like it (the University or OpenGL ? )
And now OpenGL is a part of my job which is NOT in the gaming industry.

Believe me or not, but I did not came here to "serve better the company in which I work in". I came here to share discussions about OpenGL, and actually I''m more on the side of answering to questions than asking some. So, you can count me on to someone who "is interested in someone who is a (relative) newbie in this field".
Not that I look for a very good programmer who I could recrute or any kind of profit like that.
I''m just helping someone when I can, because I guess I would be happy if some helped me.

I sorry but I don''t know anything about computer companies in Italy. I can''t argue at all with that.
But what I do know, which is general, is that you''ll always read things like "need to master C/C++/Java/VB/Oracle/HTML/XML/Win/Unix/Linux/Mac/etc" because they look for ppl who knows a lot. But in fact, nobody thinks seriously of according a job for someone who master all these things. This guy doesn''t exist. And if he existed, what work should he do ? If you *master* half of them, *knows well* the other half, and eventually *knows a little* for 1 or 2 of them, then you''ll have more than 50% of having the job.

Finally, to answer your question :
I started because I loved computers, which leaded to love programming.
In the meantime I observed the evolution of the games which impressed me more and more every year. It helped keeping the motivation on top... until the day I decided to seek a job as a programmer.
Even though there''s no prince and no princess, it''s a nice story, isn''t it ?
Thank you vincoof, me too started for fun and because I loved
computers since the old days of the ZX Spectrum 48...
The point is, do you think I have to insist in trying to transform this love in a job, or it''s better to become a
plumber or something?
I had big dreams about that...
I think it depends on the job you look for, and where you look for it.

If you want to be a programmer, you gotta be young. 28 is not old for programming, but maybe it is a bit old for a start, unless you already know how to program almost well.

If you want to go into the gaming industry, you gotta be very young. Elder guys aren''t coders (or rarely). I don''t know why, maybe someone who worked for video games can answer (I mean, professional videogames, or else we''ve all been videogames programmers).

If you want to stay in Italy, I don''t think you''ll have alot of choices. However, I don''t really know what the computer industry is like there. Anyhow, if you can/want/need to emigrate, you''ll obviously have more job offers.
>I know it''s OffTopic but...
Not that off-topic I''d say...

>Do you program in OpenGL for hobby or you''re professionists?

Pure hobby for now, probably for life, but I certainly wouln''t say no to a job in this industry.

>I mean, reading all the posts you seem to me very good at this,

Good? Man, I''m also a beginner. At the moment, I''m merely trying to take the theory to me, and experimenting with a basic 3D-engine. But I can''t say it''s going very well with that. Time-problem too.

>I wondered if some of you is working in this business,
>if this is the case, how have you done it?

Haven''t managed yet...

>I admit I''m still learning how to program in OpenGL, but I know >how to program the windows API and of course I know the C which >is behind, I also know how to retrieve information from >databases in Visual Basic, I know Html and java-script and >Director and...

That''s a good thing. With this basics you certainley got a good foundation.

>Ok I don''t want to bore you to death but nobody here seems to be
>interested in someone who is a (relative) newbie in this field >but wants to improve himself to be a better programmer and to >serve better the company in which he works in!!!

Well, I''m sorry to say, but I think that companies who can get profs won''t hire newbies too much. You can start of course with a very good demo of what you CAN do...

>I''m unenmployed and everytime I read the job announces I feel
>VERY angry: you have to know TONS of things\languages to work >in this field, OR you have to be YOUNG!!!! I''m NOT old, but I''m >28 and nobody wants to give me a chance to grow, it makes me >want to give up forever! I''ve sent HUNDRED of e-mails with my >curriculum, done a LOT of job colloquies and the result is >ZERO! I feel very paranoid and I often think why I''ve decided >to start to program, I only know I like it, why have you >started anyway?

Saw my friend programming a nice game in qbasic about 8 years ago, and all I wanted to be since then was a programmer. Certainly since my dad is one too for his job...
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement