I NEED IDEAS PLEASE

Started by
5 comments, last by laura_steph1 22 years, 3 months ago
I am looking for a good book or advice on how to get data from a online database and use the data to come up with a cool 3D visualization using opengl. It maybe easier to try to explain the project I am doing. So here it is. There are devices along the coast that measure the water level, speed of wind, salidity, etc. throughout the day. The data is kept in a database. The database is included in a website that you can query online, yadda, yadda.... My problem is how do I get the data query and link it to opengl to show the visual. Does that make sense? Thanks, Laura
laura stephens
Advertisement
I think a database connection is to slow. Try to make a database what exports XML. and update the XML file every 30 MIn.

That way the user have a almost up to date version.

The way of life is: AL :)
If you really want live feed about the data, I think you''d best take a look at OpenGL for Java. I''m pretty sure there are java libraries available that make it easy to do a query to a database. Concerning speed : I think the downloading of such a java-applet into a browser would be the biggest speed-concern. As long as the results of the queries done with your proggie are not too big, that is.

One other way to go is to do the work on a server (server-side processing). You can do a query, and render an image of the data you want on the server, and then send the results to a client in the form of a simple image in an HTML-page.

One third way, maybe the most efficient, is to use the second method, but now with a java-applet on the HTML-page that refreshes the image every few secs, so you get quite live data.

Anyway, succes with your project!
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
quote:Original post by laura_steph1
I am looking for a good book or advice on how to get data from a online database and use the data to come up with a cool 3D visualization using opengl.

It maybe easier to try to explain the project I am doing. So here it is.

There are devices along the coast that measure the water level, speed of wind, salidity, etc. throughout the day. The data is kept in a database. The database is included in a website that you can query online, yadda, yadda.... My problem is how do I get the data query and link it to opengl to show the visual.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Laura

ok, most database vendors provide libraries that allow you to connect to and query the database using C or C++. It will just be a matter of getting those, learning SQL then punching the data into whatever graphs and displays you wish to have.
I think, what he meant was that the data he needs is allready measured by some third party institute and you can query the results on their webpage. He wants to know, how to code a system that will retrieve this data and visualize it, correct ?

If so: just have a look at the HTTP protocol, and you''ll be able to automatize your data requests in a C/C++ programm. Just send a HTTP request on the page providing the data, and parse the result.
Oops, just realized, that he seems to be a she... sorry
Nice to see there''s at least one she on the forum. Women interrested in anything related to programming are rare. Wonder if there are more on this forum, besides NEHE_lover .
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement