Is it far now Papa Smurf

Started by
7 comments, last by gamesmaster2 22 years, 2 months ago
I just got started learning C++.I know that each person is different but just endulge me and give me a ball park figure.How long am I looking at before I can even attempt my first game.I''d say I started about 2 months ago and just getting to functions which from my previous post is kicking my ass because I can''t think of a instance to use it right now.
The road to hell is paved in good intentions
Advertisement
I made my first text based game within 2 months of programming. The real question is what KIND of game do you want to make because I''m sure you could easily make a game called "Guess The Number"

Time also depends on how much time you put into programming. The more time you put into learning, the quicker you will be to make a game.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Personally I say start now, make it a project and learn while making it. Don''t worry if it is bad or small, just start working. Its the best way to learn.
Aye, definately you could probably start making games now, like the Guess the number game Invader X suggested - though you might not necessarily consider them real games.

Personally I would suggest you work on a text adventure game, if you know what that is (and thats your kind of thing). I've used that extensively throughout my learning of C++. It was the first real game I made, and I'm still making new versions of it - even though its been 5 years since I started learning. You will learn alot, and as you begin to figure out new ways of doing things you'll completely scrap your old code and start over again. As an added bonus, if you save your old code - its really neat to go back and look at each different attempt, and you can really see just how much you've progressed.

/*edit:

Talking about functions - I just looked back at my very first version and noticed it only had one function - main(). My current version has hundreds of functions... they're definately useful.

*/

Edited by - laotzu on January 21, 2002 12:53:05 AM
It is only natural to start coding procedurally and transition to a more modularized version. What really gets fun is when you start learning how to use classes with inheritance!!!
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
Thanks everyone.It was really getting to me.When you say a text adventure game do you mean like a rpg.I always wanted to do one.But do you think that would be too far out of my reach for a first time project??
The road to hell is paved in good intentions
More like a ''Choose your own adventure'' story. Or at least, that was mine way back when I was programming in BASIC.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
I would say that a text adventure IS to advanced to begin with. But maybe I'm wrong.

I would start leaning in this order:

1. basic C/C++

2. Very basic win32 (windows programming)

3. DirectDraw / SDL / Allegro (or some other graphics API)

4. Simple game like Pacman using the above and of course GameDev.

Edited by - granat on January 23, 2002 5:54:19 AM
-------------Ban KalvinB !
I would certainly do a few text games before any win32 stuff. The win32 would probably confuse the * out of you. See, with text games you can get a feel for things like functions and classes, and various data types - without having to worry about setting up windows and drawing stuff to them and what not. About the text adventure - it certainly doesn''t have to be very advanced, or even a fun game.

My first version was one function, and used (gag) gotos - all you could do was walk around a couple rooms.

Second version, I think I used a couple of structs and some functions. Now you could walk around and pick up and drop stuff.

Third version, ahh.. the discovery of classes!

etc..

You see, it doesn''t have to do a whole lot - but it does do a great job of introducing you to what your learning (at least in my opinion it did)..

Anyways, best of luck to you
-lao

(ps.1 - yes I did mean rpg)
(ps.2 - I don''t think if you keep your aim low it''ll be to advanced - plus if you run into difficulties, thats what the gamedev forums are for)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement