How much do you need to know to make a game

Started by
3 comments, last by HOttraSH 22 years, 2 months ago
I can use functions but not very good with arrays... I am very much so a newbie and learn more as the days go on... but how much is enough to make a 2-D game... Did most of the people here learn their knowledge from schools or did it come by trial and error... I have taken a class on it(in one now) but still want more my class is a drag, my instructer thinks i have someone else doing my homework... is it better to write your programs/ideas on paper before you start the program ( inclass I get a clash of ideas... and it takes longer for my programs to come to gether rather if I think them out first.... but any what exactly is enough to know to start??? behind the ball. I dont know why I like to program but I find my self trying new ideas and things like " I wonder what will this do" type stuff. Is it mandatory that I have to learn various languages?? I honestly want to but is that going to confuse what I know now (I programm in c++).... ...
Advertisement
trial and error! write code and see if the compiler accepts it the rest is mostly from net tutorials!
"be fair! ... always"Zeusel
Yeah, just keep trying (and failing) until it works.

Just curious, did you copy some of that last paragraph from here?

Here''s a few things I really suggest you understand:

- Pointers
- Arrays
- Advanced functions; using funcion parameters

Probably the three most important things I have used in making my 2D games (although I don''t use pointer very often, I can think of times when my games would be better/faster if I did).

Good luck!

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
yeah,