GBA TILE MODES, CAN YA PLOT PIXELS?

Started by
4 comments, last by jakerrz 22 years, 2 months ago
Im just wondering if it is possible to plot single pixels while in tile mode? im wondering incase i want to add particle effects in a tile based game using single pixles. also i think it would be a good idea for filling areas with a solid color like a text box pop-up in an rpg. please if any one knows how you can plot single pixels while in one of the tile modes please let me know... thanks jakerrz@hotmail.com p.s. i''m new to this stuff so if i said anything stupid please refrain from flaming.
Advertisement
I don''t think so, though I haven''t tried it personally. The reason being that what would be the linear framebuffer in modes 3, 4, 5 is tile memory in 0, 2, 3. If you had tiles in there and then turned around and started writing pixels to that area of memory you''d be drawing over your tiles.

Now that I think of it that might work, it would be accumulative, and you''d have to keep uploading your tiles to VRAM every time. If you want to do particle effects just use sprites, you''ve got 128 of them, and its faster, though you can''t blend sprites as far as I know.

------------
- outRider -
kool thanks for the response.
kool thanks for the response.
Hi,
No, you can''t plot single pixels in tile modes. If you want to do partical effects, use some of the hardware accelerated sprites. Text boxes are generally done by using tiles in one of the non-used map layers.

--Nairb
Also, in mode 4, which is 8-bit double-buffered, you have to write two pixels at once (i.e. in 16-bit blocks). If you''re plotting single pixels, it''s rather slow to read in a 2-byte block, mask out one of the bytes, OR in the new pixel, and then set the old pixel equal to that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement