What should I use?

Started by
12 comments, last by Orion Tatsihama 22 years, 2 months ago
I'm trying to create a fighting game. What is a good combination of programs to create a nice one with realistic physics. Right now, I am about to start using: Havok Total SDK 3D Stuio Max R4 Character Studio 3 [ Photoshop 6 ] Does that sound like a good combination? Edited by - Orion Tatsihama on January 28, 2002 9:28:04 PM
Advertisement
That, and about ten years of hardcore fascination and practice with computer science and a really good idea and a lot of inspiration.

Well...the game may take 10 years to be finished. Seeing as thought I am only 14, I don''t have any of that 10 years stuff but I have inspiration.

I was thinking more along the lines of programs to use. I''m getting a Dev Team together now so it''s not just ME working on it.

Also, does anyone have an experiance with the Havok Total SDK and could you please give me some pointers and stuff?
Ummm... Reality check please:
Havok Total SDK $75K
3D Studio Max R4 $3.5K
Character Studio $1K
Photoshop 6 $.6K
-----------------------
~80K

Minimum Wage (last I remembered): $5.25/hr
Maximum hours per week a 14 year old can work, if they''re lucky: 20
Earning potential per year: $6290 (Assuming working 20 hours a week + parents paying the taxes + $20/week allowance & no expenditures of any sort)

In approximately a year, you''d be able to afford one seat of 3d Studio + character Studio, Photoshop, and about 2% of the Havok SDK.
3 more years, and you might advance to the lofty hights of assistant manager at mcdonalds, and be able to work 40 hours a week. The downside is you might be having to pay for college, a car, gas, food, etc. at that point.

I think we''ve all heard the warez bit before, so it doesn''t bear repeating here.
A more realistic approach would be to use:
Blender
The GIMP
and digging around in freshmeat and sourceforge for some physics/game engines.

It would beat flipping burgers for the next 10 years of your life, before even starting the game, IMHO.

That is assuming that you must use fancy tools to get the job done. Why not do something simple to begin with (stick figure fighting in 2d ascii art), and working your way up. You might even create a cult-classic that way.

They''re coming for you!
quote:Original post by pwd
Havok Total SDK $75K
3D Studio Max R4 $3.5K
Character Studio $1K
Photoshop 6 $.6K
-----------------------

Realizing that you might spend the next 10 years of your life flipping burgers - priceless.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I already have Photoshop 6 and my copy of 3D Studio Max R4 w/ Character Studio and Reactor is on it''s way.

At least now I know how much Havok Total costs (as hard as I looked). I should be getting the eval copy and see if I want it or not. If Havok turns out to be as good as I hope, I''ll see if I can get it, but at $74k, there will be a lot of hoping a praying.
As for stick figure people...

I love those! lol, espeically the Xiaoxiao series.

Anyways, The game will probably work it''s way up from stick figure retards, lol.
Hahaha, try as you may, he can''t be discouraged. Good luck to you.

$75K!!! You mean like the price of a nice Jaguar?!!!

0wn3d j00 www.10six.com
www.havok.com

It''s a Software Dev Kit

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement