Crap about funding

Started by
19 comments, last by pangplast 22 years, 2 months ago
What all this crap about getting funding? If you want to become The Conan of Game Development, just get to it! If you feel confident that you can manage produce a quality game, just do it! Cut your work to 3-4 days a week, don''t buy that new fancy car, don''t pay 20$ for a pizza (I''ve seen it done!) All you need as a 900Mhz PC, a 3D Card and a Soundcard and you are on! ActiveX is free and Paint utilities, C-kompiler, and 3D tools can be found free or pirated (You can always pay for it when you get rich later). The main problem is that when people have time off they spend it smoking grass watching MTV. If you''re not that confident in yourself and your coworkers you''re probably nothing but a lame potpuffer anyway. Just get to it! All it takes is your own mind. "If there''s a whip theres a way" Comments anyone?
Screenshos of "Humanoid invasion": http://humanoid.vaultcity.org/
Advertisement
damn those potpuffers!
quote:Original post by pangplast
...3D tools can be found free or pirated (You can always pay for it when you get rich later).

If this was to come full circle, people would pirate your game and not pay for it until they "got rich later." Which would mean your ass would never get rich and never pay for the software...

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
If anyone would take on my example then users can copy it as much as they want. I Don''t care, it will only make the game more famous. If they like it or want the "box" they can buy it or buy a "play online" version of it.

I''d probably start crying if someone bought the game only to find out that it sucks and feel that i''ve ripped him off with a cool coverbox.

I don''t really expect kids to spend three moths allowance on a game, if their parents don''t want to pay for it they can pirate it if they want...

.Pangplast
You''ll change your tune as soon as you have to pay the bills.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
ActiveX is free. I guess I''m sold then

I don''t think people care whether or not you are giving away your things (have you actually made something which you can give away yet?), but when someone else says that they *do* mind when their stuff is pirated, then why should you take it? Its like saying, I stole a ferrari, but it is ok, because I would have let someone steal my bike.

Yep, as soon as you hint at piracy, you will get a response..

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Way true but it is also true that more exposure makes more sales. Adobe give away free-stundent-versions of Adobe photoshop. So Why is that? Because the more people who knows the product the more people will buy the products later (when they need it commecially).

Locking poor people out from the marked is just a way to ensure that theese people never will succeed and never buy the product.

Anyhow, If you can''t affort the expensive stuff: Get the free or shareware stuff off the web.

I''ve working on games for a while now, and I give them all away for free. I''ve been offered cash for them (licencing firm) but i''d rather want them to be free.

.Pangplast
quote:Original post by pangplast

Anyhow, If you can''t affort the expensive stuff: Get the free or shareware stuff off the web.

That, I agree with. There are plenty of options for people who don''t have much money to spend. There are student versions of Visual Studio, there''s the free Borland compiler, there''s OpenGL...

And generating exposure is important. I know, I''m in a band. We''re not making any money, and I''m pushing HARD for them to release their stuff free on MP3.com, because we need exposure a lot more than we need the marginal income we are generating now.

Piracy is always wrong - because you are taking something that nobody intended to give you.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Then i''ve got a question (and maybe it''s stupid one),..... If you make a game (or whatever) in a pirated development package ( such as MS Visual Studio, Borland C++, etc) is the sourcecode of the application still legally yours?

(told you it was a stupid question...)

----------------------------
"Now comes the mystery."

Last words of Henry Ward Beecher (I have no idea who that is, but it''s a cool quote)
--------<a href="http://www.icarusindie.com/rpc>Reverse Pop Culture
hmmmm not sure about that one but I''d argue that the source code itself is purely text that you could have written in notepad! I have no "legal" backing on that one though...

just another point about costs and stuff...I''ve been pricing up VC++...don''t want to use it but the free borland compiler just doesn''t cut it on the performance stakes (might try Dev C++..whatever it''s called)...but over here in England (not exactly the land of cheapness) Amazon.co.uk do the standard version of VC++ for about £78...roughly I think...which seems to be the average kinda price over here. I hate to admit it....but that''s not a horrible price to pay....obviously £30 or £40 would be better....but for anyone wanting to do anything serious and legally could consider that maybe?...plus DX8+ will obviously work perfectly....and the compiler does produce some speedy exe''s...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement